WPB dive report-Sun Jan 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Did a run out of WPB today with Steve, BJ and Mike.

The front stalled out north in Orlando so the winds were still screaming at 25 miles an hour with 6 foot waves. We were trying to repeat Donna Boyce's whale shark sighting yesterday near the Riverwalk wrecks starting at the Sasha. Also this week traditionally is the Right Whale migration week thru WPB as they hug the shore to get out of the fast deeper currents. Just too choppy on the surface to spot the blowholes.

I added a swimmers finger mounted stopwatch to my handheld GPS to make it easier to time my divers in the water when I'm driving the boat. We're always watching the GPS to track bearing and distance so putting the stopwatch on it makes it "one look" simple. Just cut off the straps and velcro'd to my handheld.

Underwater was 15 feet of visibility and dirtier than a Playboy magazine. 75° and 0.0 knot current on the deeper stuff. No current was nice because I dropped my gun as I back rolled in at hundred feet deep of water. For those that carry a camera, it's just like your baby sank right to the bottom and panic sets in (Ohh-sheets!!). Luckily it went straight down in the no-current-drift and it was laying right on the sand easy to find below me. I got really lucky. Saw one reef shark but no whales and no bugs. We canceled our second tank and went to BHB to have lunch.

There's always next time !!!

20210103_100040.jpg

thanks for the info...glad you got your gun.....be safe out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom