WP-DC9 / SD800 / Fantasea Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jodomonk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After reading a number of posts on this board, I have made the decision to purchase the Canon SD800 with the proprietary WP-DC9 housing. I have a few questions regarding this:

- What's the track record with this housing? My instructor really scared me today when he mentioned he's been through 4 cameras in 2 years through housing leaks. Most of the leaks are through user error (closing case in a hurry, not checking oring seal, strand of hair in o-ring), but I would like to think that if I am careful, I'm not just going to lose my new camera in a matter of months. Does anyone have any good info or experience with this housing?

- I'm new to UW photography and am wondering if I need a red light filter if I have a strobe. My friend said he doesn't like the way red light filters make his pics look.

- I am also new to photography in general. The only reason for the SD800 is that I have been able to use it. Are there any significant UW benefits to the higher end SD's (850, 870, 900...)?

- Any experience with the Fantasea Nano Strobe? I'm not trying to spend a ton of money and this seems like it could work for my novice needs. I'm assuming I can use a Fantasea tray with the WP-DC9 housing.

Thanks for any and all responses!!!!!

Just so you know where I'm coming from I am new to UW photog. as well. Currently, I have a coolpix P4 and recently upgraded to a P5000, which is on it's way to me with my strobe (no money left to house it though... yet).

I can't help you with the housing. Never had one or known anybody with one.

If you have a strobe, you will not need a red filter since the light coming out of the strobe is already white (i.e. putting the red back in). In some cases people do use red (or magenta or similar colored) filters over the camera's lens in order to put red back in the pictures. But AFAIK this is usually in very clear waters and without strobes.

I don't think there will be any significant benefits from the other SD's. The A series yes since they do have complete manual controls. But the SD800 already has a nice wide angle lens on it (wider than most of the rest of the line). If I were looking for a camera particulary for underwater use, I'd definitely go with something from Canon's A or G series, the Nikon coolpix P50 (although I haven't seen any pictures fromit yet even topside), P5000 or 5100 or somehting like that with full manual control, and ideally a hotshoe and RAW.

I've never used the Fantasea strobe, but I have seen somebody that used one and was quite satisfied with it for macro shots. I recently picked up a Sea&Sea YS-60 brand new from Sea&Sea for $135 with cable, arm and base included (go to their website (LINK) and go to the Factory direct closeouts (top right corner)). This is an old discontinued strobe that can be optically triggered using the Heinrichs-Weikamp Optical Digital Adapter, which you can get for $129 from Reef photo (LINK). Bottom line, for $270 you have a strobe with tray and an arm that will have much more oomph than the fantasea nano. Mine is still on it's way down here, so I haven't had a chance to play with the set up yet, but Mattias Heinrichs assured me that it would work well with my camera. Check out his website HERE as he has a list of confirmed compatible cameras up.

I've never used the Fantasea strobe, but I have seen somebody that used one and was quite satisfied with it for macro shots. I recently picked up a Sea&Sea YS-60 brand new from Sea&Sea for $135 with cable, arm and base included (go to their website (LINK) and go to the Factory direct closeouts (top right corner)). This is an old discontinued strobe that can be optically triggered using the Heinrichs-Weikamp Optical Digital Adapter, which you can get for $129 from Reef photo (LINK). Bottom line, for $270 you have a strobe with tray and an arm that will have much more oomph than the fantasea nano. Mine is still on it's way down here, so I haven't had a chance to play with the set up yet, but Mattias Heinrichs assured me that it would work well with my camera. Check out his website HERE as he has a list of confirmed compatible cameras up.

That's a pretty cool idea. Are you sure the strobe on the website comes with arm and base (I have no idea how to tell)?

I'll let you know for sure when I get it (around the 15th it'll arrrive here in Chile). Before I ordered it, I sent an email asking about just that and the response was:

"SS-15961A is a kit that includes the YS-60 strobe, tray and arm. Just add a camera."

From the digging around the internet that I've been able to do I'm almost sure that it's this setup:
ssys60ylsde6.jpg

But with a simple (probably older discontinued) tray and the strobe is a N-type instead of a S-type (5-pin nikonos connection as opposed to the 4-pin S&S connection). The handle doesn't give it much flexibility for positioning the strobe (I did see some pics somewhere that it extends up about 4-6 inches or so), but I plan on adding some better arms at some future point when the finances allow it.

Back
Top Bottom