Would you use a 14 year old dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David The Gnome

Contributor
Reaction score
My aunt quit diving about 10 years ago and she's got a really nice dive computer that she bought new in 1992. When she and my uncle bought their dive comps they were top of the line and I've been told several thousand dollars were spent on them. She wants to give me her dive computer (along with 2 tanks, gauges, weights, etc) since she no longer dives. Would you use a 14 year old dive computer if it checked out ok at the dive shop?

It would probably help if you posted details about the manufacturer and model of it.

I don't know any details about it yet. I haven't seen it for myself as it's in storage and my uncle hasn't had time to go get it for me. I don't even know if the manual is still with it or not. My uncle is anal about that sort of thing but my aunt could care less.

I wouldn't use it to save money on a new computer, but I would take it on a couple of dives to compare it with a modern computer.

Like Cave Diver said, it all depends on make and model. My dive computer is 10 years old and works like a champ. Never had a problem. Let us know what you find out. If the tanks have been stored full they may not pass hydro. Just a thought.

My dad just sold his old Aladin Pro which was 16 years old and worked and looked like new. Alot depends on who took care of it. I would use it if it were in good shape and does decompression.

I used a Sherwood Source computer that I know was at least 10 yrs old; because someone gave it to me along with some regs, etc and I threw it all in a box in my garage, had no idea what it was until I got certified years later and remembered I had a bunch of crap in the garage. I had the LDS check it out put in a new battery and I used it for a year. I ended up getting a new one because I wanted Nitrox and wrist mount, but now my son uses it.

No, send it to me, instead.

Back
Top Bottom