Would you use 50% for inflation with heated undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to decide if I need to allocate space for an argon bottle (in sidemount). I know some people use 50% for inflation and don't bother carrying an extra bottle. Would there be any added concern when using a heated vest (or heated whatever)? I'm not sure what temperatures the wires in those undergarments could reach, and whether having 50% Nitrox in there is enough to make any real difference. My gut says it's a bad idea. Thoughts?

No idea, but just about anything organic burns in 50%. Fire fighter bunker gear will catch fire and burn in 50% Iirc.

I'd probably do it. It's ultra humid in your suit and you won't really have 50% oxygen in there unless you flush it or dive real deep.

That said, you're better off with a dedicated suit inflation bottle for Trimix diving.

The resulting leak would extinguish the flames.

Electric heating garments probably not too big of a risk ANY chemical heater that used oxygen to produce heat is a no no even with 32% they can cause burns.

Electrical? Not a problem imo.
Chemical? forget it.

Electrical, I use the Santi heated vest on all my dives. Thanks for all the replies. I guess inflation bottle it is just in case. That's a lot of stuff to butt-mount, with canister + inflation bottle + equipment pouch all competing for a piece of real estate on my glutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom