Would you buy a used Atomic B2 for $430 that seller has proof of purchase new for from a year ago and only dove 3 times, or buy a Deep 6 signature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFalzetti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The atomic is an atomic. It has the swivel and all that good stuff, but I’m worried about servicing costs. It’s going to cost $200? To service it?

The deep 6 has become more and more appealing to me over time, with its free servicing and support of self servicing. I can get the first and second for $474 (plus tax) online from the website. It’s got all of the fancy specs too. Heard they breath just as good as any other thing out there.

So what would your move be? Buy the used Atomic, or buy the new Deep 6 signature series?

I do not own Atomic, but all the fancy features and free parts for life (after you take their service class) has D6 way ahead of the game for me..

You'll get a few that don't like D6, but for the most part people love them and their business model. I think I have 5 1sts and 9 2nds.. or maybe more. They just keep multiplying, lol

I do not own Atomic, but all the fancy features and free parts for life (after you take their service class) has D6 way ahead of the game for me..

You'll get a few that don't like D6, but for the most part people love them and their business model. I think I have 5 1sts and 9 2nds.. or maybe more. They just keep multiplying, lol
Ok I guess since this will one way or another be a large purchase for me I’m torn between the hype train of the fancy atomic, and the practicality of the Deep 6 group. Again more and more people keep telling me to go with deep 6

Having owned deep 6 is there really any notable difference or any reason why any other regulator brand is better than them?

If I’m planning on getting into technical diving do you recommend buying the din first stage and getting a yoke converter in the mean time?

Thanks

So what would your move be? Buy the used Atomic, or buy the new Deep 6 signature series?
Are you comfortable with the possibility of shipping your regs to be service if you buy the Deep 6? Their first one is free. Now I am a Deep 6 guy and appreciate their support of customers/small dive centers like I plan to open. But even before I switched over to them, I was mailing my regs to be serviced as I was sick of 3 different LDSs screwing up my regs. So getting your Atomic regs serviced may wind up being no different than Deep 6 if you don't service yourself. I don't know if you are a DIYer or not.

EDIT: if you are into technical diving, you may want to consider servicing yourself, and being able to address adjustments at the dive site. Ask @tbone1004 about this. When you have a big dive going, sending to a shop is not happening.

Having owned deep 6 is there really any notable difference or any reason why any other regulator brand is better than them?
Not really... every brand has fan bois. SP probably most of all. I own a few different regs besides D6, but try to get any of those manf / distributors on the phone and see. Talk with @LandonL or @cerich. They'll put any worry at ease. I mean, the 1st service is included in the purchase so right there is the next 5-6 years of diving for the cost of the reg itself.

If I’m planning on getting into technical diving do you recommend buying the din first stage and getting a yoke converter in the mean time?
I would absolutley go din.. Get a $20 yoke converter and dive anywhere in the world, but din all the way.

Edit: also, take the class. Even if you don't want to service at the very least you can tune the 2nds and have a better understanding how things work, better idea how to clean them etc. After class you'll be able to at a minimum prolong the generic "every 2 years" bs service interval. It's not rocket science.

Are you comfortable with the possibility of shipping your regs to be service if you buy the Deep 6? Their first one is free. Now I am a Deep 6 guy and appreciate their support of customers/small dive centers like I plan to open. But even before I switched over to them, I was mailing my regs to be serviced as I was sick of 3 different LDSs screwing up my regs. So getting your Atomic regs serviced may wind up being no different than Deep 6 if you don't service yourself. I don't know if you are a DIYer or not.

EDIT: if you are into technical diving, you may want to consider servicing yourself, and being able to address adjustments at the dive site. Ask @tbone1004 about this. When you have a big dive going, sending to a shop is not happening.
I just bought a service kit for my mk10 and love messing with regs. I would like to learn to service it on my own and actually plan to go ask my lds if I can train to learn to be a service tech.

Do you know how much deep 6 servicing is after the first free one? Do I need to save the parts kit they send me and send it in with it to have the free service?

I’m looking to purchase a second stage at the moment if you are willing to part with one of yours… I just sold my primary regulator so I could do my advanced open water class. I’m now using my old conshelf 21 on my mk10 hahaha

Do you know how much deep 6 servicing is after the first free one? Do I need to save the parts kit they send me and send it in with it to have the free service?
I don't know the 1st answer to your 1st question.

Yes, you'd have to send the service kit back in with the reg.

I’m looking to purchase a second stage at the moment if you are willing to part with one of yours… I just sold my primary regulator so I could do my advanced open water class. I’m now using my old conshelf 21 on my mk10 hahaha
4 kids and a wife that dive stipulate I probably need more not less, lol.. but I'll let you know if I ever change my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom