Would this be a good first camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been wanting to get a UW camera for some time now. I'm not really into photography to much (at this time) and just want something to take a few pics to show family and friends and not spend to much money. Does anyone think this might be a good first camera to get? Or any other recommendations?

It is a Fuji F700 with Fuji housing and a 2gb card for $285 tops.

Thanks,
Dustin

It would make a great starter camera (IMHO). It shoots manual mode and RAW, which are both important underwater. Not sure about this model, but Fuji's typically have short battery life (ie: one dive before changing batteries). This model appears to have a proprietary battery, so it may do better (the E900 uses 2 AA batteries).

HTH,
Dave

I used to have a Fuji, similar to this one, I have a major issue finding a strobe that would work with it, to the point that I sold off the set, it was great in clear water down to about 15 feet, but from there on I couldn't get a decent photo out of it since I was unable to find a decent strobe to work with it.

After talking with Fuji directly with it, they responded that they don't "produce" the underwater housing therefore they don't support any problems with them, I then explained that my housing is in fact a FUJI model, and they were perplexed and said that it must a knockoff product.

meesier42:
I used to have a Fuji, similar to this one, I have a major issue finding a strobe that would work with it, to the point that I sold off the set, it was great in clear water down to about 15 feet, but from there on I couldn't get a decent photo out of it since I was unable to find a decent strobe to work with it.

After talking with Fuji directly with it, they responded that they don't "produce" the underwater housing therefore they don't support any problems with them, I then explained that my housing is in fact a FUJI model, and they were perplexed and said that it must a knockoff product.

What feature did it have that would not allow use of a fiber optic fired strobe that had the ability to ignore pre-flash? I know that the F810 & E900 were able to fire a strobe this way.

Dave

I don't know, I tried a couple of different strobes and programmed them to ignor the preflash, only to find out that the camera had other things.
1) it did multiple preflashes, and it was not a consistent number
2) the timing between preflash and main flash was not consistent which gave me more headaches.
Now I will admit I was not using $$$ strobes, I tried 3 strobes, and I don't think any of them were the right equipment.

Anyway, I got tired of screwing with it with inconsistent results, so I sold it and upgraded to a Nikon D70s, with Ikelite everything, which has been treating me quite well, both above and below the water.

dhampton82:
I have been wanting to get a UW camera for some time now. I'm not really into photography to much (at this time) and just want something to take a few pics to show family and friends and not spend to much money. Does anyone think this might be a good first camera to get? Or any other recommendations?

It is a Fuji F700 with Fuji housing and a 2gb card for $285 tops.

Thanks,
Dustin
Hi,
I bought the same camera & housing from them with 1 GB card about a month ago but have not taken it underwater yet.
Some things to note.
  • Takes good pictures on land so far.
  • Easy to use.
  • quick to start up and recycle if not using flash.
  • way smaller than my other underwater setup .. (a good thing)
  • It really is NOT 6 Mega-pixel, it is 3 with a set of smaller sensors that help with dynamic range.
  • It has manual and RAW (both good for underwater)
  • you will need extra batteries & a battery charger which are really cheap on ebay. I have found battery life to be quite short compared to my other cameras (canon).
  • Takes decent movies
Bottom line.. I think it will work very well for you if you get extra batteries.
The battery is 710mAh whereas typical rechargable 2 AA batteries is 2*2500 mAh

Back
Top Bottom