Would these items be good for SoCal diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenbear01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I'm a newly certified diver who is looking into purchasing a BCD, reg, and octo for diving off SoCal. Specifically, I'm looking at a package that contains the following items:

BC: Aeris Sport BC
Reg: Aeris A1 Regulator
Octo: Aeris A1 Octo

At present, I don't have much money to spend, since I'm still a student.

I appreciate any feedback that any boardmembers can offer.

Hiya, I like Aeris products. I dive an AerisAT 400 Sport DVT Reg with and A1 Octo, And have found it to be reliable . I think the number 1 most imoortant thing in dive gear is comfort. The second most important thing is buying from a reputable,authorized dealer like your LDS. Plus going into a local dive shop, you can try equipment on and ask all the questions you have. Sometimes they will even put together better packages than you would imagine. Another suggestion I have is to wait a little bit,before purchasing especially if you are tight on money. Rent different types of gear so that you may try them out before you purchase. This will help you decide what features you are looking for and really need. I also think that rushing into buying equipment is a bad thing because you may end up spending a lot of money on something you don't really like or trust. And besides, hanging around the idive shop can be cool.

Welcome to the adventure. And Good Diving to you.

Last edited:
What is your total budget?

I'm trying to get my gears for around $700 or so. I'm not sure I'll purchase the package immediately, but I'll probably end up getting it in a couple months, after I've returned to southern California. The great thing is that the package is also being offered by an online shop based in southern California so I can not only call them up to ask about the gear, but also stop by and take a look in person.

I have the Aeris Sport BC and I dive in SoCal. I've also taken it to the Bahamas just two weeks ago and it performed well. Only got it for $100 when SportChalet was clearing their inventory. Just don't put the max 10 lbs on each ditchable weight pocket. I've had a problem of the weight pockets snapping off at the end of the dive when getting back on the boat. Maybe 7 or 8lbs on each ditchable weight pocket and some on the non-ditchable pocket or even some ankle weights tied to your tank. Didn't have that problem in the Bahamas where I only needed 5lbs on each pocket. I also got the Aeris Airlink integrated octo for it which was a nice addition since I don't have an extra octo hose dangling on my side.

Have you tried on the BC you're considering? I think anyone will work out a deal if you're buying several things at once....just some a little better deal than others. Call around and ask. Your location says Chicago. Are you moving here or just visiting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom