Would anyone be interested in a Scubaboard photobook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, this is a revisit to a previous thread, but I didnt see it go anywhere. Would anyone be interested in buying a "coffee table" book of pictures from people on scubaboard? I was thinking of categorizing it with all your typical categories, then asking people to supply their names as well as their SB handles, the dive site it was taken, and maybe the equipment they use. Anyone interested? I was going to try and make it about 75-100 images. Costs would be for printing and shipping and all that jazz. Post your responses here and I expect to get this on the initial roll by this weekend. All images will need to be approved by a select group of underwater photographer dive buddies of mine.

Let me know!

Hi All,

Sorry not have posted earlier. Got back from Shanghai last week and had a chance to meet with two printers. Their quality is excellent and they are willing to do a small run of 300 books. Typically 1000 is the minimum. I won’t bore you with the breakdown but it will run about US$23.00 per book, each book at 100 pages. You will have to add UPS/FedEx/USPS to this for delivery to your door (from Seattle/Kent, zip 98032). Both printers accept disks formatted in Quark. In the cost I have included the cost of purchasing this program, unless someone has a copy.

Since this is Not for Profit, I would not be willing to personally bankroll the project. So if we have 100 pages, one photograph per page we need each contributor to buy 3 books. Or you could have three photographs per page and everyone buys one book, etc, etc, etc….

As I have mentioned before I first posted this idea at Wetpixel and am willing to work on both projects. It seems there is interest at both sites but it has not moved past the work I have done. I am willing to work on editing, working with the printer and shipping. Others would have to:

1. Get an actual count of contributors
2. Come up with categories (I like by region, then broken into macro, w/a, divers)
3.Who can submit photos
4. How many photos can each person submit
5. Mimimum standard for quality
6. Editors (I suggest 2 per category) for each category
7. Set up an account for Money Orders for book buyers (again I would not place an order until we had Money Order for 300 books in hand)
8. Pick a Non-Profit for any “extra copies” sold
9. A final edit team who know Quark
10. Other issues I am overlooking

KidK9 if you want to start dealing with these issues that would be great. I am off to Bonaire at the end of the week but obviously there is a ton of work that needs to get sorted out. If you have any suggestions or comments post here or PM me.

Martin

Guess I should note that if anyone has a way to print and distribute a "coffee table" quality book for less, wonderful!

2. I believe we had a fair amount of suggested categories in the other thread. Someone has to step up and decide which of those are to be used or we can just tally up the other thread and figure out which categories were suggested the most.

3. I believe we'll have more contributors than noted in the other thread once the ball is rolling a bit farther - it'd help if we had a sticky thread eh? :wink:

4. I thought we were limited to (2) pics - I'm willing to buy (2) maybe (3) books at $23, but I won't have a use for any more - afterall, they will be mostly amateur photographs(including my own) and won't be much good except for my own entertainment and possibly my family and friends.

5. Didn't you post a picture that would be used as a reference of minimum standard?

6. I'm more than willing to pick pictures for any categories you need, although, I may not be the most qualified for this job. I'm definately capable of pointing out which pics I think look the best.

Personally, I'm interested in helping where I can, I'd like to see my photos in a book - I know they aren't up to par for a professional publication, so short of getting my work published on my own(surely more costly - and I probably don't have enough pictures even good enough for my own standards to make up a decently sized book), this is probably the easiest way for me to get this done...

I think I will look into putting together a coffee table style book. I will put my ideas together and then look into some publishing opportunites. I think I will be able to receive emails with pictures by this weekend. So start putting your best together now!!!

I was wondering what the status was with this. I'd be willing to help where possible.

Back
Top Bottom