Would a wetsuit work as a drysuit undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My son is looking around for an alternative to his Hollis undergarment (too bulky) and it got me wondering if a wetsuit would work. I'm thinking it might be too restrictive and potentially too warm and sweaty.

Thoughts?

Bob (Toronto)

The idea of wearing a wetsuit under a drysuit isn't new. Below is a a scan of a catalogue page from the 1960s illustrating a popular drysuit from that era:
skooba-totes2.jpg
The description includes the sentence: "A diver can wear as many sweaters underneath it as he wishes - or best of all a SUPER TARZAN as an undersuit, like the French Navy". A "Super Tarzan" was an ordinary two-piece neoprene wetsuit made by the French diving equipment company Beuchat of Marseilles.

Of course, back then, drysuits were generally thin, loose-fitting coverings that could accommodate bulkier undergarments, including wetsuits, underneath. Modern drysuits tend to be thicker, and therefore less flexible, when worn with bulky underclothing, so the ability to swim with this configuration may be impaired.

I have some arctic undergarments I got from a military surplus place. Kind of like a sweat pants/shirt looking stuff, but made from a poly material. Fairly warm for moderate temps and cost about $20 each.

What do you mean "too bulky"? By this do you mean too warm? If you are in pretty warm water, you could do something as simple as polypropelene under a light sweat suit. Just avoid ones with too big a zippers. They can be uncomfortable at depth.

Yes, you can wear a wetsuit under a drysuit... sadly, it will be colder and more restrictive than a fleece garment of the same thickness.

• The wetsuit material will crush with depth.
  • The wetsuit will trap perspiration next to the skin, and will be hot at the surface, and cold in the water.
  • Restrictivenesss: in this case, 1+1=3

Everyone has to try it once to be convinced. No reason your son can't try it like we did!

All the best, James

My son is looking around for an alternative to his Hollis undergarment (too bulky) and it got me wondering if a wetsuit would work. I'm thinking it might be too restrictive and potentially too warm and sweaty.

Thoughts?

Bob (Toronto)

This has been asked and answered several times.

The answer is always "no"

This has been asked and answered several times.

The answer is always "no"

Don't feel too bad. A few years ago, I was one of the askers. Do a search and see how I painted myself into a corner while other board members kindly tried to tell me I was clueless.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the wetsuit will compress inside the dry suit as quickly as it does worn by itself.

One of the major benefits of a neoprene drysuit, IMHO, (and confirmed to me yesterday by a hull cleaning buddy who was a longtime DUI wearer) is that undergarment requirements are minimal. I'll wear a single layer of polypro underwear under my Bare D6 Pro all winter long and be comfortable in temps below 50°.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom