Worthwhile additions to a DM internship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking into doing a PADI DM internship next fall (thinking September-October), most likely in Roatan or possibly Utila. I've noticed some shops will include a specialty or two in their price (Search and Recovery or a choice between Deep and Wreck, for example) while others don't, but all will allow you to add specialties to the internship. So I'm wondering if there are any specialties that would make me more marketable as a DM or should I consider adding specialties only if they're of personal interest to me?

I currently have Rescue and Nitrox certs and current EFR. I'm strongly considering doing a Wreck course this summer as the Thousand Islands are calling out to me. Are courses like Deep and Search and Recovery assets or a waste (if a shop will allow divers to 130 with just AOW do they care if their DMs have a deep cert?)? How about Gas Blender?

I know things like being familiar with boat engine maintenance, etc could be handy as well as knowing other languages and being an OWSI instead of just a DM, but I'm curious strictly about specialties at the moment. What's useful for a DM and what's just for personal interest?

Thanks in advance

dsat gas blender
hit that on the nose!

no way on the local dm training? internship
best asset is experience through helping instructors
and a big smiling face:D

have fun
yaeg

I would presume Deep would be a great asset. What do you do if a Deep certified diver wants 130' and for whatever reason you are his buddy? I know the required new DM course charter dives now include some Deep & S & R training. S&R would seem to be useful if you had to search for a missing diver (though much of that is included in Rescue).

yaeg, as far as local training goes, I probably could do it around here but I'm not sure any of the local shops provide that internship-type experience, with their courses generally more stretched out. I'm going to a Go Pro info night that one of the lds' is holding next month, so I could find out for sure then. It seems that I'd get more experience assisting with classes and working on the boats, etc, in a 2 month internship down south than over 6 months here just based on volume of divers passing through, but again, I could be wrong. I'm also looking for that adventure/grow-up period that a lot of people get when they move away to go to college.

ok, so Gas Blender and Deep, yes, S&R maybe... any others that might be beneficial?

Deep would be a good one just because it covers alot of basic information that will be useful even in the post 60 foot range. It briefly covers things like Deco Stops and even details alot of good information about being narced.

Id say I would do this one because when you push your times to the absolute NDL its nice to know how to handle accidently going past them as well.

Wreck is ok but if its PADI it is very limited on wrecks as it only allows 130 linear feet of penetration (So I have been told) in other words if your 10 feet underwater your training allows 120' of penetration. If its 80 feet deep then it allows 40 feet of penetration. Their is good information in this course though such as looking out for sharp edges that could cut an air line. This course is a unique course too but Id choose deep first. Just my 2 cents

Emergency O2 provider is also very popular, it builds on from what is covered in the Rescue course, some dive centers/resorts also require their staff to have this.

I can't imagine Emergency O2 provider being too much different from DAN's Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries and Advanced O2 First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries (which I took in May with my Rescue class), but the usefulness of the skill-set is noted.

If you already have the DAN Adv O2 then this equates to the PADI program, so as you say it would be redundant. Gas Blender is helpful, if you'll be guiding divers needing Nitrox, and you'll be operating a compressor/blending. Also if you have a good Instructor, the Equipment specialty could teach you some good trouble shooting tips, though the standard PADI Equipment specialty is basic and not a manufacturers authorized repair class.

I would second the gas blender, also nitrox as a worhtwhile addition to a DM internship. As whilst you personally may not be diving it, your clients may be so an understanding is good. We'll also include equipment often and cover it more in depth to cover basic servicing and fixes as this can prove very useful in their dive career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom