Worthington LP85 Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Guys:

Anyone use Worthington LP85 tanks as doubles? I see plenty of divers double up Faber LP85, but they have a fair amount of positive buoyancy, which I would have to counter. I currently use Worthington HP100s and they trim beautifully. I only need 5lbs of lead with a Kydex backplate and I'm good to go.

I can deal with adding a small amount of weight with the Worthington LP85 but am worried about trim. Do these put you in a head down or feet down position? I'm about 5'5.

Thanks,
O

LOVE my Worthington 85s. They trim out exactly like HP100s but they're lighter and I think a bit shorter. They don't get butt-light when empty like the Faber 85s do. (I learned that the hard way.)

Ouvea, I used to have set. Physically, they look just like HP100s, just slightly longer, by maybe 1.x inche. In water, they are less negative than HP100. My estimate is about 4-6lb less negative for the set. I use that much less weight with double HP100. In term of trim, they are similar. I would say LP85s trim a little better because they are longer and I can hang a longer piece of tail weight on the bottom. I like them. Reason for me to switch to double HP100s is the fill. Our most visited LDS will take them to 3000psi. But most other place will only fill them to 2400-2600. I just don't want the hassle of getting a LP fill. On the plus side, once in a while, some shop will mistakeing it as HP100 and fill to 3500 too.

May I ask why you are looking to switch?

@ eelnoraa:

No way I would sell my Worthington HP100s. I would like to replace my second set of doubles (MP71.4), which are very short and are difficult to trim. I have to wear a weight belt with them, and at times, I do wish I had the extra capacity without having to use a stage. Just trying to standardize my rigs and in truth, I prefer diving with my HP100s. If I want do dive at Monastery Beach with doubles, then I'll just hit the gym and get my butt in shape to cope with the additional physical exertion.

I found a set locally for $800 but it will need a hydro test next year. That makes it $900 for the set, which I think is way too much. I paid that much for my current set, when it was brand new.

@ TSandM:

Do you know why Faber LP85s are so popular? I see them a lot, here in the Monterey/Carmel. The Worthington tanks would seem the better choice as they are near neutrally buoyant when empty. With the Fabers, you would have to offset about 5lbs of positive buoyancy

O.

I think $800 a set is on the high side for out of hydro. I think a BAUE member is selling a set in hydro for less. Not sure if someone already bought them tho. Since you are having HP100s today, I would highly recommend another set of HP100 just to make things consistant. With LP85s you will need more weight.

LOVE my Worthington 85s. They trim out exactly like HP100s but they're lighter and I think a bit shorter. They don't get butt-light when empty like the Faber 85s do. (I learned that the hard way.)

I have not had that problem. I like the Fabers cause they are 5 lbs (each) lighter on land.

BTW They have similar buoyancy characteristics. People think they do not but Worthington measures theirs with a valve whereas Faber does not.

I use Worthy 85s for doubles, no complaints. 5250 disc in them and 3.6k psi=226cuft
I like the galvanized finish personally. I like the extra weight when using stages for deco that will ultimately get floaty.

Interesting info about the Faber specified sans the valve. Anyone know the specs with say a modular valve?

I have not had that problem. I like the Fabers cause they are 5 lbs (each) lighter on land.

BTW They have similar buoyancy characteristics. People think they do not but Worthington measures theirs with a valve whereas Faber does not.

I think this is the exact reason why they are so popular. They are also much longer than HP100 or Worthington LP85, so they trim out better for head heavy people. Being able to attack a long tail weight is also nice

No, they're slightly (~1") LONGER than the HP100s. This, IMO, makes them even easier to trim out. I love mine. Favorite doubles to dive.

Do you know if the Worthington empty weight includes the weight of the valve?

Attachments

• worthington_steel_specs.pdf
    519.6 KB · Views: 377
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom