Worth it to go to Red Sea in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some time off work in January and was thinking about trying a Red Sea liveaboard. But I've heard that a lot of the fish leave the Red Sea in the winter. How much of a change is it from what it would be if I could wait until summer? Are there some sites that would be more worthwhile in January than others?

I was there in mid-March a couple of years ago and was disappointed at the lack of larger critters. If I ever return, it will be much later in the year.

I have some time off work in January and was thinking about trying a Red Sea liveaboard. But I've heard that a lot of the fish leave the Red Sea in the winter. How much of a change is it from what it would be if I could wait until summer? Are there some sites that would be more worthwhile in January than others?
What fish are you after? Reef fish do not leave anywhere. Reef sharks are mostly territorial. Hammerheads are going to be unlikely sight but usually they are a quick sight from a distance even they are there. Starting from February, there will be more plankton so viz will be worse but likelihood seeing an already rare manta or whale shark will be more. Oceanic sharks like Silky or OWT are "officially" not there in winter but nowadays they are attracted to the boat activity, so, they may still be available in January. I do remember seeing silkies at the end of December.
January can be good due fewer boats going out especially to Brothers. If you are not bothered by heavy seas and sea sickness and wearing a thicker suit or a dry suit, there is no reason not to go.
I am also debating with my self currently whether I should do Red Sea or Maldives in Jan-Feb. I actually tending towards Red Sea because it is so much better for photography, always blue skies and no clouds.
Edit: Days are shorter in winter, it can make a difference with the light.

Back
Top Bottom