Worrying leak need advice from BARE expert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello BARE experts. I have a question.

I have an HD pro dry trilam suit from, I think 2008. It probably has close to 1000 dives on it so it's on it's last legs. I'm not surprised that it's leaking but I am surprised HOW it's leaking and I have a question about that.

In the picture you're looking at the right armpit seam from the corner of the zipper to the hip. I dive a lot in a twin set and stages with a continuous harnas so this area takes a beating. The inside of the seam looks intact but obviously it's worn looking and leaking.

The question I have is the following. Is it safe to aquasure the bejezus out of this seam in order to delay buying a new suit until later in the year or am I playing with fire if I do that? What I'm worried about happening is that the seam will just give out and rip open. In in the winter I dive in water that gets down to near freezing and in the winter we're often making 45 or 50 minute dives that involve some required decompression.

Thoughts?

View media item 202077

I'm not and expert but i am practical - I think you know the answer cough up and get a new suit
calculate how much you'd save by trying to make it do for a few more months and work out how much it would cost you if you got to you dive site and then it fails and you had to abort your dive weekend( and maybe your buddies) - regardless of the obvious hypothermia issues

I know when I purchased my BARE a big reason was because of the lifetime seam warranty. Have you called BARE to make a claim?

I have the same suit same era, same problem. I was told by the bare service guy himself that my suit fabric is delaminating, and while they lifetime warranty the seams, Not the (defective) fabric. they are unable to fix the seams on my suit. Many of my coworkers got entire suit replacements. I was basically told i was sol. I was offered x amout of keyman for a new suit. I ordered a new suit. dui clx450 signature. I wont buy anything bare or huish or recommend them. Edited to add the suit and service of it had been frustrating from the first time it needed service. A long chain of issues lead me to this, not a singular event.

You got a lot of value out of that suit. If you know it's going to need replacing then maybe it's time. Kind of like fixing an old car, patch,patch until full breakdown. In the middle of a panel I would patch. A seam is a different story. I agree with tk the clx is a really durable suit, although never had anything other than dui for comparison. But I have seen some really old beat up clxs that are still water tight.

So you have a Bare going on 10 years old with close to 1000 dives and you are considering a different brand? I have had Bare suits since 2005 and they are great. My first was a Tri-lam HD and I just bought a made to measure X-Mission and couldn't be happier with the suit. If you aquaseal the bejesus out of the seam, it may not leak, but it may hamper any professional repairs too. Have Bare check out your current suit, and if it isn't worth fixing, get another one.

Well thanks for the advice guys. I gave it some thought. I figure if this is happening on this seam that it's just a matter of time before other seams start leaking too. Given the age of the suit I think I'll replace it. I may still send it to BARE to see if they can do something with the lifetime seam warranty but I'm not holding out much hope.

The shop offered me this suit http://shop.mares.com/us/xr-kevlar-with-latex-or-silicone-seals-6.html?switch=1 for a good price because I work for them. They are a Mares dealer. Does anyone know anything about this suit?

Back
Top Bottom