World War II Wrecks, Gulf of Thailand - March 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartecosse

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Guys

Am planning a trip in the Gulf of Thailand for 6 Days 6 Nights diving World War II wrecks in the 55 t0 70 meter range from the 16th March 2008 for 6 days 6 nights.

The trip will be aboard the Trident, with Jamie and Stu, the team that found the USS Lagarto sub as well as numerous other pristine World War II wrecks in the Gulf of Thailand.

For those that don't know the Trident is a full tech liveaboard with onboard trimix blending and O2 to 200 Bar - perfect for those with rebreathers

The cost of the trip (departing from Koh Tao) is 55,000 baht per diver and includes all food, twin sets, stage bottles and air. Helium for those requiring it is 3 baht per litre and the O2 cost is simply shared out amongst the group and is negligible.

The itinerary will be the "Hammerhead" trip that has already proved extremely popular. This submarine sank four maru’s in the Gulf of Siam and we’ll be diving three of them on this trip. The last one, Kinrei Maru, has yet to be found.

After an easy over-night journey from Koh Tao, the first day’s diving will be on Nanmei No 5 Maru, an oil tanker sitting upright , then only a two mile run the next day to Sakura Maru a real hodgepodge of a bulk carrier/tanker also upright.

The next two or three days will be spent on the Tottori Maru, a 5,900 ton passenger cargo ship lying on her starboard side another six miles from the last wreck. her sister is ship pictured above. This ship had a terrible history, she was used to transport thousands of POWs in apalling conditions.

All three appear to have been torpedoed in the bow. Depths between 57m - 70m.

We’ll also have a day’s or two’s exploratory diving on some nearby un-dived marks.

If you like WW2 maru’s , this is the trip for you.This is a perfect trip to earn your Trimix certification on to and the additional cost for this is 36,000 baht inc all gas required for the course.

For those on rebreathers Trident can have all the sorb that you require waiting on the boat for you and with O2 to 200 bar you will be well catered for

Anyone looking to join the trip please pm me or email me as spaces are limited to 10 divers in total.

Hey Smartecosse -- I am eagerly awaiting the Trident's next liveaboard to the Pangan wreck, as the one I was scheduled for in November was blown out by bad weather. Do you know whether they'll be doing the Pangan wreck before the Hammerhead trip? I can take 3 days off work for the Pangan, but 6 days for the Hammerhead WWII wrecks is a lot more difficult ...

Anyway, I'll give a totally unsolicited plug here: for tech divers (or those who want to learn tech), Jamie and Stu and the Trident crew have the best thing going in Thailand -- they know the wrecks (indeed, they found most of them!), of course on the boat have trimix, EAN36, pure 02, etc. etc. all just waiting to go. And they're nice guys, too.

Maybe I'll see you in mid-March ...

they are quite busy in Jan and Feb so you may get a 3 day in at that time.

You should really try and do a hammerhead though :)

Quick Update

Two spots are now gone leaving 8 left for this trip.

Also Dive The World have agreed to help out with promoting the trip and it is now featured on their blog here. The good thing about this means that if you need to pay by credit card this is now possible and there are no additional charges for doing so. The prices remain exactly the same.

don't forget to publish some pictures!

just been drawn attention to this thread, by someone very blond that wondered if it was still going ahead.

it did go ahead but in March this year, not 2009

we've got lots of trips planned for 2009 as well

pictures and trip reports on

Tech Thailand

Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom