WORLD ’ s Youngest Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you can blame NAUI for somewhat negative attitudes that some divers have towards PADI. I harbor none myself, and I am a NAUI instructor toi boot. But then, I ain't all that young either! wink

I do believe that there are differences between each agency's certification process. I don't think that I would draw the line that says these differences make one agency better than the other. They are there though, and I highly recommend divers to check out what is expected of them BEFORE they take the class. I also believe that the INSTRUCTOR is far more important than the agency. Likewise the attitude and motivation of the student is far more important than their age as well as the agency.

jhelmuth:
Well, I apologize for not being able to interprit your original post correctly. I guess it does take 2 to communicate. But as far as I am concerned, the fact that I dive and am a part of this industry makes it OK for me to comment on standards and certifications. It doesn't mean that my comments are valid or worth a hoot - but I do reserve that right and I don't think you're in a position to take that away because you didn't like my interpritation of your comments.

PS - I think I also reserve the right to comment as an American citizen and a member of this board. Of course, they could revoke that right if I'm out of line.

Oh yea, and my opinion on "most adults with an MSD.." is that they may not be qualified in my mind or someone elses (even yours), but I would say that most actually do have enough skills to be diving. Probably not to your level, but not so bad that they should not be diving. Smme don't and I wish we could revoke their cards, but I don't run the show. Also... I think I'll skip collecting the MSD card and get one that actually does something for me. I'm not into cards unless I get something outta them.

Ok. I think we're pretty much on the same level on this issue. No hard feelings.

"I don't think you can blame NAUI for somewhat negative attitudes that some divers have towards PADI."

Agreed. OTOH, I think you can blame PADI for somewhat negative attitudes that some divers have towards PADI.

gedunk:
I would agree with this but do not consider most certs "meaningless." Any cert, at least in theory, means the certified met the requirements of that cert at one time. Thats all it means, since who knows if the certified can meet those requirements at some later date.

In the end, the worth of any cert is best evaluated personally,and individually in the water. No two people with the same cert, will ever have the same skill level in every skill.

That is true of any diver, or any agencies cert.

Agreed. It all needs revamping. Common sense in a perishable skill like diving has to be reinforced with good training and dive time. Until that is mandated the situation will not change.

FYI...don't blame the "agency" blame the human factor.

Does anybody know where the close thread buttom is?

I had no idea this thread would be this much fun when I started it !

NetDoc:
I don't think you can blame NAUI for somewhat negative attitudes that some divers have towards PADI. I harbor none myself, and I am a NAUI instructor toi boot.
You're one of the exceptions among the target audience, Pete. I'd rather eat my dry suit gloves before I call you bigoted or aggressive. :eat_arrow
NetDoc:
I do believe that there are differences between each agency's certification process. I don't think that I would draw the line that says these differences make one agency better than the other. They are there though, and I highly recommend divers to check out what is expected of them BEFORE they take the class. I also believe that the INSTRUCTOR is far more important than the agency. Likewise the attitude and motivation of the student is far more important than their age as well as the agency.
Amen to all of that, each and every statement. In fact, the only part of your post I disagree with - partly - is the initial one. As I said, some members of the agency in question really are at the forefront of the slagging match. The SSI, SDI, MDEA etc. people are not. As a rule. It is getting rather noticeable.
SeaJay:
Hahahahaaa!!! Funny. At least it's not GUE's fault. I was waiting for that one.
I'd leave them out, myself, I can't recollect a single leading member of that agency joining the latest bashfest. Which, y'know, is pretty smart, not funny.

As an aside, it's been only a few days since I had friendly drinks with some very commited GUE members, and only the odd week or two since I had one - just as friendly - with the local NAUI head honcho. As I wrote, I've always a great opinion of NAUI. I've dived with them too (as well as with the GUE folks, now there's something to ponder ...), I don't look at people's agency cards, and some times I don't even know what they are, they're just good divers ...

But I still insist there is food for thought, 'cos this thread isn't exceptional. I like being ahead of trends, or at least spotting them early. And you read it here first.

I know this discussion is a bit long in the tooth now but as the father of the young diver concerned, I thought I might make a few points. I'm also a PADI Divemaster - though not a "working" one.

Thanks to all who congratulated Charles on his achievements and thanks also to the sceptics for being constructive.

One of the most important things is that Charles understands the limitations of what he's learned. While he has dived in a variety of circumstances (boat, shore, rib, liveaboard, day, night etc) he knows he has a lot to learn and that he has plenty of time to do so. He knows the card is just a piece of plastic. However, it's a piece of plastic that those familiar with the PADI world will understand and it says, if nothing else, that the holder has taken the trouble to learn something and keep his skills sharp. Of course there are other ways of doing that but there are also plenty of people who learn nothing after their fourth open water dive and spend their holidays crashing into the reef, dropping their tank on your computer and trying to defog their mask with the anti-sting vinegar.

Frankly I tend to agree with those who think that MSD is rather too easy to get. I wish PADI would have a more advanced non-professional attainment level but they don't and that's why I did the DM course. Of course I could join my local BSAC Club but they wouldn't let Charles (or his younger brother Theo - yes there's another diving Jessop coming along) in until he's 14. As a large part of the purpose of this is to do things together as a family, that would rather defeat the object.

However, Charles is very pleased to have got this, he's a fantastically keen and motivated diver, an excellent ambassador for our sport and a credible advocate for the conservation of the underwater world we cherish.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom