Working abroad - Want to know more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayJayJr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Started my DM program 2 weeks ago - very excited as I have the backing of a great LDS with great instructors. It was mentioned during the first class that once we get our DM numbers - on the padi site we can find opportunities for work abroad as DM's.

This peaked my interest - but nothing more was really discussed in class. So I ask the qualified DM's and Instructors here - how's it all work?

It would be an interesting opportunity to spend my summer working abroad between my spring and fall university semesters - Is this possible?

What sort of language requirements are we talking about? In Mexico I wouldn't really need to know all that much Spanish - as the majority of travelers are Canadians (like myself) or Americans or Europeans (who usually speak excellent English)....

Any information you guys could provide me with to better understand how it all works and if it's even possible would be fantastic. Thanks.

You might try poking around and asking questions on the "Employment" forum - under Scuba Marketplace.

When I started the program, I had a similar interests and it seems like the majority of opportunities are for Instructors.
The general thought seemed to be, "Why would I hire a DM when I can get an Instructor?" Most places want someone who can not only guide trips, but certify divers as well, whether it's OW, AOW or just a specialty here and there.

Don't let this discourage you, I'm sure that there are opportunities abroad, but you need to hunt them down, they won't come to you.

The other challenge you will likely run into is the fact that many foreign countries have regulations in place where dive operations are required to hire so many locals before hiring outsiders. In these cases, the locals usually get the DM positions and only then, if they don't have any locals trained as instructors, they will hire instructors from the 'outside'.

Good luck with your program and with finding something abroad. It's fun 'problem' to have. :D You're lucky not to be settled down yet and to have the chance to do some traveling!

Twebba is right. You'd have a better chance if you become an instructor. And even then it won't be easy getting a job by correspondence because a lot of instructor candidates and dive master trainees are hanging out at the resort areas anyway. I finished my DM in Boracay, Philippines and went on the the IDC and worked for the shop where I did my DM. Most, if not all, of the instructors there came to dive, liked it, continued their training and stayed. The only one I knew who was hired from outside was a Course Director.

Thanks for the replies guys - I had a feeling that was how it worked.

At this point - I have no intentions of becoming an Instructor - I enjoy diving, leading people on dives, and being the go-to guy. The dynamic that I share with other divers, students, and so-fourth seems to really change once you become an instructor - it is what I have observed, and heard from every single instructor I've spoken with.

That isn't bad, per-se, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Not the mention - I don't think I would serve any student well in the next year or two if I were to continue to advance my training and start teaching OW classes. I would like to have a great deal more 'field' experience before taking it on - it just makes sense.

I had a good experience with a shop in cozumel that suggested I come back when I was DM and that they would hire me. This may have been mouth service - but from a realistic standpoint I think you guys are right, the best way to get the foot in the door is by getting to know the places you'd like to work at - and they will get to know you.

Besides all the typical DM cliches like "exemplary skills" - what are other things I should know about in order to stand out from all the other DMs who want the same job I want?

Boat driving skills. Compressor operation. Regulator maintenance. Sweep the shop and keep it clean. Carry tanks. People skills. If they feel good and are having fun and safe dives....you're doing good.

Boat driving skills. Compressor operation. Regulator maintenance. Sweep the shop and keep it clean. Carry tanks. People skills. If they feel good and are having fun and safe dives....you're doing good.

Ah thats something I wouldn't have thought of at all. I don't know the first thing about driving a boat.

I will investigate this locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom