Work of Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am curious about the Work of Breathing ratings of regulators and how they relate to each other when the measurement parameters differ. As an example, the Zeagle ZX/DS-V is rated 1.09 Joules/Liter measured at 198' and 750 psi inlet. The Aeris Atmos Pro, on the other hand is rated .90 Joules/Liter measured at 198' and 2732 psi inlet. How do these two compare given the different inlet pressures? What effect does inlet pressure have on the Work of Breathing?

Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

It really depends on how well balanced the first stage is as to if the WOB can translate given the disparity in supply pressure.

If it was possible to have perfect balance then the difference would be not work considering.

The higher density at a higher pressure can also actually impeded performance in certain cases.

The best and only way to compare is by testing them all under the same criteria.

Best,

Chris

1500 psi was the standard for regulator tests done by the USN, and then Scuba Diving Magazine for many years.

About 3 or 4 years ago SDM dropped the inlet pressure to 750 psi to raise the bar on the tests. Dive Lab in Panama City actually performed the tests.

Zeagle takes all our regulators to Dive Lab for independent testing. The results are an average of many tests on each regulator. They don't always get the same score, but generally the higher the inlet pressure the better most regulators will score, if everything else is kept constant. Any score near 1.0 is a fine performing regulator, at 1500 or 750 psi.

Chad

FL Zeagle Rep

Chad

Just a quick point WOB is not a all inclusive indicator of reg performance.

The limiting factor on a first stage is often the size of the orifice leading into the regulator from the tank.

Balanced first stages are able to have a larger orifice without encountering problems with excessive IP drop as the tank pressure goes from full to empty caused by the change in downstream assist provided in the unbalanced system.

At the same time a balanced first stage can have a larger orifice and can then also benefit as well from larger internal passages that tend to promote increased flow rates at higher absolute pressures.

Consequently, unbalanced first stages tend to have lower flow rates, especially at low tank pressures as you can only get x amount of air thorugh a given orifice size at a given pressure, so both a smaller orifice size and lower supply pressures will reduce the potential flow rate of the first stage.

This lack of flow at the first stage begins to effect the performance at the second stage when the sustained flow required of the first stage is such that the Intermediate pressure drops to the point that additional suction is required to open the second stage poppet and keep the gas flowing.

Deeper depths are more demanding as the volume of gas required to supply the diver at, for example, 198 ft is seven times greater than at the surface. At the same time, the actual pressure of the gas flowing through the reg is going to be 88 psi higher at 198' than at the surface due to the increased ambient pressure acting on the first stage and this increase in denisity creates a slight increase in viscosity with will magnify any flaws or obstruction in the gas passagwasy in the regulator.

So it's a challenge for a reg to supply the neccesarily large volume of gas at depth with a low inlet pressure and if it does well there, everything else is gravy.

That said WOB numbers are very misleading and can be manipulated to become even more misleading. They do not speak to the quality of the gas flow and they do not fully address other more subjective and often more important factors such as cracking effort. For example a second stage that requires a higher than desireable cracking effort (the effort needed to initiate flow) but them literally inflates you with positive pressure may average out well on a WOB chart, but not feel particularly good to breathe off off compared to a smoother and more naturally breathing regulator with a lower cracking effort but with a higher overall WOB. Personally, I totally ignore WOB numbers unless they are given with comparisions at different depths and flow rates where the differences can then be very illuminating.

Thanks for the info, it's very informative.

I'm finding the task of evaluating regulators to be very daunting to say the least. All I really have to go on is marketing literature and the opinions of others. All of them are undoubtedly biased in one way or another. Furthermore, it's not easy to try out a bunch of equipment myself since I'm landlocked and the local LDSs have a limited selection. I had hoped that WOB charts provide a somewhat reasonable basis for comparison, but given what I've just read, that doesn't seem to be the case.

It sure would be easier if I weren't so particular (okay, maybe anal is more accurate) about things, but when my life depends on this stuff I don't want to take any chances!

If you haven't yet, go to www.scubadiving.com, and read the myriad of reviews on regulators. If you think you're confused now, try absorbing all of the data you'll find in their reviews. I spent 2 months reading their reviews and bending people's ears before I made up my mind. I also read everything I could on the forums. I guess it paid off, because I really like my regulator!

best reg under $500 Oceanic Delta 4, yup I sell them but can honestly say I like it as much as any reg I've ever dived.

cerich:
best reg under $500 Oceanic Delta 4, yup I sell them but can honestly say I like it as much as any reg I've ever dived.

The Delta 4 looks like a great reg but it's a bit more than I want to spend. I've been looking at the Zeagle DS-V because it's price point is more to my liking and it seems to be of very good quality. I know you represent Oceanic but I would like to hear how you would compare the Delta 4 to the DS-V. Also, how does the GT3 compare to both of them? Thanks for your opinion.

BTW, I have a Versa Pro Wrist and I am very impressed with its quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Oceanic product. But, like most people, I'm trying to get the best quality at the best price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom