Work in the UK...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lk187

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
i just passed my PADI IE and completed the MSDT course. over the next couple of months i will be working to get my 25 certs so i can qualify. after this i will be heading home to england and am looking to work somewhere in the south as an instructor but also as an allround help in a dive center as i have been working at a dive shop in the florida keys for 6 months now and am experienced in most aspects of the job. any ideas where i can find out about employment specifically in the uk? i have had no luck so far!!!!

please help!:confused:

Sorry I cannot help you find work in the UK or anywhere for that matter, lol sorry. But I would like to know where you are taking your training in the FL keys and what you think of it?
ScubaLuuke

I think that you should first experiment diving in UK.
As you know: It's very different from the Keys, you'll probably dive in dry suit, the viz can be really bad and you will have to learn about the local faun.
I dove several times in Cornwall (Pensance) : probably no job around this place, 'guess you should be more lucky around Falmouth and the Lizard ?

Congratulations lk187!

I passed my IE in Cornwall in 2003 and worked for Cornish Diving in Falmouth (contact Steve or Kerry) and Dive St Ives - who have since changed ownership. I got my jobs through the PADI employment board which you will now have access to :D

In that area there are also Porthkerris Divers, Looe Divers, Lizard Divers - that I know of. Have a look at www.divingcornwall.com which has some info on shops in that area.

I hope that helps.

DD

Remember you will need a HSE medical to work in the UK. You will be considered to be diving at work and will need to comply with the HSE ACOP for Recreational Diving projects.

go onto your PADI member profile and thenchek on the employment page for positions, you can also place an advert saying where you want to work and any roles in particular you will be happy with. I teach occasionally in the UK with a dive centre in Scotland, struggled initially with the usual "you're not an instructor if you didnt learn in a muddy pit" with the first two dc's I went too but have had no probs getting dive work when I want it since.

Just remember working in the UK is going to be far from cheap due to HSE.

As well as the mandatory insurance (about £150 a year or so minimum) and the annual HSE medical (about £100 a year) there are other expenses.
You cant teach independently legally - as its classed as commercial diving open water mandates a minimum of a 3 person team, the instructor, a trained rescue diver (hse not padi definition) in the water to rescue YOU and a trained first aid shore cover person. Both of these also need the same insurance, hse medicals and so on.
Then add project plans,logs, massive numbers of risk assessments etc and you get the picture. The only real way to teach in the UK is through a centre :)

wow, thanks for all the info i appreciate it. am in contact with a couple of dive shops now and trying to work out the rest. one of them runs frequent trips to egypt. not bad for a weekend release!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom