Wool socks with neoprene booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does any one have any experience or an opinion as to whether or not wearing thin wool socks with neoprene boots improves the warmth of the boot. I tried it yesterday and although it seemed to work I worry that it may have been a placebo effect. Is there any science that anyone knows of that supports the idea of wool socks with neoprene boots (or gloves for that matter).

Bob (Toronto)

I wear thick wool ankle socks with neoprene boots. This is because I am between boot sizes, so I had some cold water sloshing around in the boot. I think that the wool sock filled the space, stopped the water from circulating, and allowed it to warm up. In any case, it felt warmer.

I felt warmer too...thanks for the reply!

I agree with Soggy. I wear 2 pair of socks with my Turbo Soles. One pair to aid in moisture wicking and one thick pair of wool socks. My feet are always nice and warm.

Does any one have any experience or an opinion as to whether or not wearing thin wool socks with neoprene boots improves the warmth of the boot. I tried it yesterday and although it seemed to work I worry that it may have been a placebo effect. Is there any science that anyone knows of that supports the idea of wool socks with neoprene boots (or gloves for that matter).
I wear 3mm-5mm (depending on water temp) neoprene socks inside my boots. Can't imagine that wool is better.

I wear 3mm-5mm (depending on water temp) neoprene socks inside my boots. Can't imagine that wool is better.

I don't have enough room in the boot for that otherwise that's the route I would go!

Seems to works for them thar sheep.
I's used a woollen sweater before I's owned a suit.
Caint say I seen no placebo's where I've dove but then we don't play in no concrete ponds.

Yea I use socks under my boots and find it keeps my feet warmer for sure :)

I can confirm from personal experience that wool socks will help. However, I have never tried it, but you can sometimes find 2-3 mm neoprene socks that are probably no thicker than a wool sock and they would probably work better under a boot.

I can confirm from personal experience that wool socks will help. However, I have never tried it, but you can sometimes find 2-3 mm neoprene socks that are probably no thicker than a wool sock and they would probably work better under a boot.

I tried the neoprene socks and found wool socks much better actually (at about a sixth of the cost too)! But YMMV

Back
Top Bottom