Wondering what wetsuit to take to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to Belize November 6-13. I know the surface temp is in the 80's, but I am wondering what exposure suits you wore when you dove to stay warm at depth. What we can take is limited since we will travel on a small plane to get to our resort. I would love to get by with my 1 mm pants and 2.5 mm vest with reef shirt but not sure that will be enough. My 3 mm suit is a little stiff and hard to get into. I'd like to leave it at home but I also want to be warm.

Asking someone else what they wore to keep warm is usually not very helpful. They are not you.
Some are happy with board shorts and a rashguard. Others need a 5mm.
The best you can do is ask someone with the same cold tolerance you have, which is not going to be some stranger on the internet. Next-best is to know what the temps are, which you can get from the resports and from places like Current sea water temperature in Belize.
The temp at depth will be similar to the surface temps; the thermoclines are not strong. The larger effect might be the compression of your exposure suit with depth; that can turn a 3mm into an effective 1mm.

Water temps in Belize in November are typically around 82 degrees F. As someone who usually runs cold, I wear a 3mm fullsuit at that temp, even for multiple days of multiple dives per day. I do, however, bring a 3mm vest with me in case I start to get cold later in my dive trips. My general comfort for multi-day diving in tropical water runs like this: 5mm for 78-81 degrees, 3mm for 82-83 degrees (sometimes adding a vest later in the trip), 3mm fullsuit or 3mm vest with rashguard and shorts for 84+ degrees. I could probably use a shorty for the latter, but I don't own one. But as @tursiops says, everyone is different.

I've never gotten cold here using a two piece 3 mil suit with a hood. And I'm a warm water wimp.

Asking someone else what they wore to keep warm is usually not very helpful. They are not you.
Some are happy with board shorts and a rashguard. Others need a 5mm.
The best you can do is ask someone with the same cold tolerance you have, which is not going to be some stranger on the internet. Next-best is to know what the temps are, which you can get from the resports and from places like Current sea water temperature in Belize.
The temp at depth will be similar to the surface temps; the thermoclines are not strong. The larger effect might be the compression of your exposure suit with depth; that can turn a 3mm into an effective 1mm.
I know that but it does give me some idea. I’m not a noob.

I will generally just wear my Sharkskin. My wife, who tends to get cold more easily, is fine and toasty in her 3 mil.
Thanks. That’s what I wanted to know. My 3mm is harder to get on and was hoping to avoid taking it.

I've never gotten cold here using a two piece 3 mil suit with a hood. And I'm a warm water wimp.
I’m a wimp too. We have a limited luggage allowance because we will be taking a small plane. I’m trying to put everything in a smaller checked bag b
Water temps in Belize in November are typically around 82 degrees F. As someone who usually runs cold, I wear a 3mm fullsuit at that temp, even for multiple days of multiple dives per day. I do, however, bring a 3mm vest with me in case I start to get cold later in my dive trips. My general comfort for multi-day diving in tropical water runs like this: 5mm for 78-81 degrees, 3mm for 82-83 degrees (sometimes adding a vest later in the trip), 3mm fullsuit or 3mm vest with rashguard and shorts for 84+ degrees. I could probably use a shorty for the latter, but I don't own one. But as @tursiops says, everyone is different.
Thanks . Your information is very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom