Women's Wetsuit Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mia Toose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am looking for input regarding sizing for women's wetsuits. As you may know I have designed and developed a line of wetsuits for women called Truli Wetsuits. The concept is that the wetsuits are more true to the women who wear them; they are high-performance, durable, and warm without compromising style. Women have expressed so many times to me that they experience a lot of challenges in finding wetsuits that fit properly, feel good, and at the very least also look good. Truli Wetsuits has definitely improved the situation in many ways for women looking for a wetsuit that meets those criteria.

My first design called the Truli-Mi is a 3.5mm fleece-lined sleeveless shorty and is available for sale in sizes XS, S, M, L, XL (XXL will be available for the next round of inventory coming this year).
During the testing phase I had several different women try the suit and I recorded all of their measurements and clothing sizes, so I could make recommendations when people were buying them online. Here is the sizing chart.

The sizes are working well so far, but I have listened to some people say that they wish that the larger sizes were listed as something other than XL, XXL.

As a woman, do these size descriptions matter to you?

Would something along the lines of XS, S, M, L, L1, L2 make sense to you?

Do you have any other suggestions?

I have had experience in the retail industry where a product used a different name for a standard sizing system and it always resulted in some confusion when people were trying items on. I've also seen in wetsuit sizes "ML", which, as dive crew, we were always curious if this meant Medium-Long? or Medium-Large? or Men's-Large? or...And why was that listed like that?

It's important to me that I meet the needs of my customers, so I would really love to hear any and all input from as many people (males included if they like) as possible.

FYI - The Truli-Capri prototype which features the same design as the Truli-Mi, but with a longer leg to just below the knee and no traditional black is being tested this summer. The plan is to have this product available for winter 2016/17

<snip>
The sizes are working well so far, but I have listened to some people say that they wish that the larger sizes were listed as something other than XL, XXL.

As a woman, do these size descriptions matter to you?

Would something along the lines of XS, S, M, L, L1, L2 make sense to you?

Do you have any other suggestions?

While I fully understand the resistance to standard sizing labels -- nobody likes realizing that they need to take an XL when they think of themselves as an M, it's just a weird psychological thing -- I would really recommend sticking with standard sizing. It's just confusing otherwise. (L1 and L2 - definite nope.)

If you really, really want to change things up, then you could try naming them something and NOT tying it to relative size: Moray, Wrasse, Goby, Tang, Eel, Anthias (avoiding, you know, Chub, Puffer, etc :wink: ) but then people would have to look up sizing charts to know what the heck you're talking about and then they'd be all like, "well, why the heck didn't they just say XL?" I dunno, I would find that annoying.

Stick with standard sizing.. If M-L is confusing use M-T (medium tall) or M-S (medium short); they do this similar with pant sizes.

As a consumer, I don't want to have to do "reseach" to figure out what sizes mean. Our world is complicated enough as it is. For me, I find the standard to be the easiest: XXS,XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL

I also really like the wetsuits that come in short, regular and tall.

I've had occasion to buy 2 coats from a designer that does sizes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I was annoyed.

Thanks everyone!

I decided to go with the standard name for sizes and for my next inventory arriving in February 2017 I've added an XXL. We all come in different shapes and sizes and I plan to have a wetsuit that will be perfect for every one of you!

As always, I guarantee no hassle and free exchange or return if the wetsuit doesn't fit the way you like it :)

Any chance you will be getting larger sizes??
Hi @jakz2fun!
Actually, I've just announced an extra size to our two newest products - the Truli-Mi in Pashy Passion Pink and the Truli-Capri. Divers can choose from XS - XXL. Here's a link to our sizing chart for your reference:
What size am I?

BTW - I am offering 25% off for these two new products until Feb 28th and shipping in March 2017. Use discount code: TRULI25 at checkout.
Also, I guarantee free exchange/return within North America if you aren't completely happy with how it fits :)
Message me if you have any questions about sizing or shipping - Happy to help!
Products

Back
Top Bottom