womens bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greta-inbaja

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi , I looking at replacing my old scubapro jacket bc. I was thinking of the lazer. My lds says its just a travel cut of the stiletto, is that true?? Most of my diving is not local. The lds doesn't carry the lazer for me to try on. I am switching to a integrated wt system due to some low back issues. The shop carries the Zena. I read a report on SB that the zena can be hard on the low back but some people love them. The shop also carries the ladies ranger. I think that is more than I need. Plus it is just over my budget. I am 5'4, 135, athletic, not especially curvy, just not very big. I tried on the seaquest balance sm. and it dug into my neck. I guess my question is... does anyone have input on the zena vs the lazer?? All the other local shops are very testosterone oriented so there is very little input on female bcs they just want to sell me what they have. I am just looking for something that will fit, and travel well. I am not stuck on just a "womens" bc. Thanks for any input.

I've tried both the Lazer and the Zena and prefer the Zena. The biggest reason for me is that the Lazer has a cumberbun, whereas the Zena is basically a corset with a wing attached. I prefer a minimalist style with no need for pockets, thus the Zena is perfect since I can add on a pocket when I need one. As far as the Lazer being a "travel cut" of the Stiletto, it would probably be more accurate to say it's a LADIES cut instead I'd think.

I've been diving my Zena for almost 6 years and have going on 400 dives with it. Not only does it look as good as it did the day I took it out of the box, but of those nearly 400 dives, about 150 of them are shore diving on Bonaire. NEVER have I thought my Zena was hard on my lower back, but I also was one of the voices that urged ScottZeagle to develop a lumbar pad for the Zena since it's nice to have that space filled in for comfort.

I will say that how the Zena is fitted on the diver's body is exceedingly important for comfort. If it isn't properly adjusted at the start of the dive, I can only imagine how uncomfortable it could be. When properly adjusted, the Zena should literally never move on your body. You should never feel it shift or have any tank roll, period. With 6 points of adjustment and 3 different pieces (shoulder, front panel, vest) that you can mix and match for size, the Zena becomes as close to a custom fit BC as you can get (as do ALL Zeagle BCs). As for travel, my Zena has the 24# wing, weighs about 5 pounds, and folds up quite small with the only limiting factor being the inflator hose.

Clearly I'm probably the Zeagle Zena's biggest fan, however, I will say it isn't a BC for everyone (like no single BC is right for everyone). It also isn't a BC built for cold water (dry suit) diving. If you need a cold water BC, stick with the Lazer or the Women's Ranger.

Bottom line is really to find what fits you best and you like the most. You might check prices at ScubaToys and find yourself pleasantly surprised that you can afford more than you thought. If you call them with your measurements, they'll also put the right components together to build a custom fit BC for you. They'll also do that for both the Lazer and the Zena for you, shipping both to you to try and have you send back the one you don't want.

Thank much!!! My next trip is actually 3 wks between bonaire and curacao. My closest "local" dive is cabo pulmo in baja. Also thanks for the hint on scubatoys, I have seen their website.

I realize that since this was started in january, the OP has probably already bought her bc (I'm curious to know what you chose, btw) but I'd just like to comment for anybody else who might come across this. I was interested in the Lazer but my lds doesn't stock it anymore. They told me that they found most women preferred the Stiletto. Based on my online-window shopping, I liked the look of the Stiletto a bit more anyway, as it appeared a bit more streamlined, so I went to try one on. My previous experience with how men's (rental) BCs fit made me figure a women's one was the way to go, but my reaction to the Stiletto was "so THIS is how a bc is supposed to fit". moral of the story: if you're considering the Lazer but the lds doesn't have one you can try, don't discount the Stiletto just because it's the men's version. I love mine so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom