Womens 5mm wetsuit recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm one of those divers that gets cold very easily. I started with a 3.5mm to which I added a SharkSkin vest and then a hood, and I still get cold in the Caribbean during the summer. I decided it is finally time to bite the bullet and get a 5mm. Main considerations: keeps me warm, not too difficult to get on, not too bulky feeling. I'm 5'4", ~110-115 lbs. I've read through these boards, looked at online stores, read various reviews and came up with this list:
Henderson Thermaxx 5mm
Bare Evoke 5mm
Bare Nixie 5mm
Mares Flexa 5/4/3
ScubaPro EverFlex Steamer 5/4
ScubaPro Sport Steamer 5
ScubaPro Definition Steamer 5
WaterProof USA W4
WaterProof USA W50

The scuba shop that I tend to use is a dealer for all of these brands, so hopefully I'll be able to try them all on. If anyone has any others that I should add to the list, I'd appreciate that. Or any I should cross off. I'd like to understand the difference between the Evoke/Nixie, the 3 different Steamers, and the 2 WaterProof suits. And which parts of the Mares are 5, 4, and 3mm.

In general, are there certain things I should be looking for in a 5mm that will improve my requirements? Like, should I look for wrist/ankle zippers? Or does then reduce warmth?

Thanks!

Its not an obvious answer but just keep an open mind and take a look at the Mako open cell 2 piece suits.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Womens-3D-Reef-Camo-Wetsuit-2-Piece-Open-Cell-p/m2y3drcw.htm

They really are warmer than a traditional closed cell wetsuit and more comfortable. There is some trade off. You do have to carry a lubricant with you to wet the inside of the suit before doning but once its prepped it slides over the skin like butter. Swimsuits do snag it so in this case less is more.

The other down side its that it does take a little more caution in care.

If you have the opportunity to actually try on the various wetsuits in your list, then I would go with the one that fits your body type the best. I say that because you have clearly done great research and landed on a number of quality brands and some of their best offerings. Fit and cut is very critical to warmth and comfort once you have narrowed down the choices regrading quality of the brand, materials and construction. For ease of donning and doffing, the Henderson Thermaxx is outstanding, and the thermal properties are also amazing for me. As for my wife and her body type, the Scubapro Everflex Steamer 5/4 works best. All based on fit.

Get a Lycra bodysuit to go under it and skip the lube.

Wrist and ankle zips are great. Easy don and doffing. I noticed very little if any difference in warmth with a non-zip.

Good luck in narrowing down your choice.

As an example: I love the Waterproof brand of wetsuits and drysuits. But for whatever reason, their sizes don't fit me or my wife quite right. In her case, there is always excess volume in the breast and armpits, regardless of size- this results in a lot of water flushing in those areas and subsequent cold. This is not an issue of the construction of the wetsuit, but of fit. For me, it is an issue of torso to leg length cut.

@elora_c What did you choose and why? I'm going through the same evaluations at the moment. I have a 5 mm Henderson Thermax but I'm bigger on the bottom than the top. It tends to gap in the back and I loose a lot of warmth. I'm leaning towards the Scubapro Definition Steamer or the Everflex.

Would love to hear your experiences.

Funny you should ask... I just picked up my new suit 3 days ago. In February I went to my local dive shop and was able to try on the Thermaxx, Evoke, and one of the ScubaPros. I thought there was a 4th, but I can't remember. The ScubaPro I struggled for 5 minutes to get into and finally gave up. I didn't like the feel of it so didn't bother seeing if the shop could get it in a larger size. The mystery 4th suit also wasn't a winner. I liked both the Thermaxx and the Evoke and after an in-depth discussion with the salesperson, I went with the Evoke. Both suits were a bit uncomfortable in the armpits, but I figured it would get better in the water. The Evoke I tried on was 2 sizes too large, so it wasn't until I returned this weekend that I was able to try on one that fits. It fit perfectly everywhere, but was a bit baggy in the thighs. And when you hang up the suit, you can see bulges in the thighs. It isn't loose, per se, just oddly cut. Key selling points were: It's very warm, comfortable, and flexible. I can squat no problem in it. It folds easily (good for traveling). And it was super easy to get on and off.

Anyway, I'm not going diving until end of June, so I won't know how it actually works until then.

I love my Seac Komodo 7mm so much, wrist & ankle zippers. I’d highly recommend the 5mm.

Back
Top Bottom