Women Dive and Dive Resort Professionals Honored in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Cayman Islands Tourism Association (CITA) hosts the Stingray Awards every year to recognize individuals that have helped to make Cayman a successful travel destination.

I noticed that many of the winners this year were women, including some familiar names from dive ops and dive resorts:

- Nancy Easterbrook from Divetech was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award (see picture below)

- Sharon Maher of Reef Divers (Little Cayman Beach Resort) was recognized as Watersports Manager of the Year (see picture below)

- Trudy Viers from the Cayman Brac Beach Resort received the award for Accommodations Manager of the Year

The CITA is the organization that sets the standards for watersport safety, including diving, in Cayman.

Congratulations to all the winners, see the list below:

Tourism Association presents Stingray Awards | Cayman Compass

There are other familiar names on the list of nominees, including Claudia and Teresa at the Little Cayman Beach Resort - they were nominated for Employee of the Year but didn't win.

See the link below for the list of nominations (men and women); you will probably recognize some names too!

It's nice to see that the awards don't just focus on the big mega-resorts and businesses but include nominees from some of the smaller venues, too.

Congratulations to all the nominees too, and thanks for all your hard work to make Cayman such a lovely place to visit!

71 nominees vie for this year’s Stingray Tourism Awards | Cayman Compass

NancyE_StingrayAward.jpg

Local dive legend Nancy Easterbrook receives the Cayman Islands Tourism Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award from Acting Governor Franz Manderson.

Sharon from LCBR.jpg

Sharon Maher of Reef Divers (Little Cayman Beach Resort) was recognized as Watersports Manager of the Year

Last edited:
There were lots of guys too. One of ours won the Watersports Employee of the Year Award. Aside from that obviously my other two highlights of the evening included the well deserved tribute to the dancing police officer who directs traffic in GT and seeing my smiling partner in crime handing out the Watersports awards. I didn’t know Nancy was still part of Divetech although we all know it will always be part of her. We are proud of everyone who was nominated and of course who won even the males

Go Sharon! She exhibits so much enthusiasm for diving and her guest...this is well deserved.

Caydiver,
There are always lots of guys winning sports awards.
KathyV choose to highlight some women winners in the 'Women's Perspectives' forum. I doubt here was any intent to lessen the achievements of men.

Didn’t mean to lessen anyone’s achievement but since the guys were not hiighlighted anywhere I thought it would be nice to mention them. As an old gal who is been around a while I think its nice to give everyone their rightful recognition. Didn’t know the womens forum was restricted. Sorry and also think its a bit . Will not mention men here ever again and have the deepest admiration for women who manage to get the job done without needing special recognition purely because of their gender.

There were lots of guys too. One of ours won the Watersports Employee of the Year Award. Aside from that obviously my other two highlights of the evening included the well deserved tribute to the dancing police officer who directs traffic in GT and seeing my smiling partner in crime handing out the Watersports awards. I didn’t know Nancy was still part of Divetech although we all know it will always be part of her. We are proud of everyone who was nominated and of course who won even the males

Go Sharon! She exhibits so much enthusiasm for diving and her guest...this is well deserved.

Caydiver,
There are always lots of guys winning sports awards.
KathyV choose to highlight some women winners in the 'Women's Perspectives' forum. I doubt here was any intent to lessen the achievements of men.

Didn’t mean to lessen anyone’s achievement but since the guys were not hiighlighted anywhere I thought it would be nice to mention them. As an old gal who is been around a while I think its nice to give everyone their rightful recognition. Didn’t know the womens forum was restricted. Sorry and also think its a bit . Will not mention men here ever again and have the deepest admiration for women who manage to get the job done without needing special recognition purely because of their gender.

Sorry, it was not my intention to ignore the achievements of the males that have made Cayman such a great destination for divers. After all, my husband once won a free diving trip from Bob Soto, and he was an excellent guide to Cayman diving in the early days!

But diving has traditionally been a sport geared more toward males, although that may be changing, and I just thought that it was nice to recognize the accomplishments of some women that I have known and admired for their hard work and achievements. But I definitely also want to applaud the efforts of all of the nominees and winners (and many other unsung heroes and heroines) they are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks KathyV

Back
Top Bottom