Women, BP and weight belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My GF was recently certified and has a few additional dives in her book. I set up a BP for her immediately after her OW cert. We are diving in cold California water with drusuits and heavy weight belts. She is tall and slender and HATES the weight belt which bruises her hips. Are there any tips from women on how to eliminate or deal with the discomfort?

I'm not a woman but some of my female buddies are.

Best solution i have seen is to go for a heavy back plate and sta.
use steel tanks and stick the weight pockets on the tank bands.

I havnt used a weight belt for 10 years (exept for teaching).

I'm not a woman but some of my female buddies are.

Best solution i have seen is to go for a heavy back plate and sta.
use steel tanks and stick the weight pockets on the tank bands.

I havnt used a weight belt for 10 years (exept for teaching).

We need more weight than that. With a drysuit, BP and steel 100, she needs 18 pounds of lead.

I dont like a heavy belt either. I put XS weight pouches on on my tank straps and BP waist belt. You can distribute the weight so you are trimmed out and I carry minimal weight on a belt to ditch. Another option would be a weight harness which I have not tried. Keith

I wear 20Lbs. I put 1-4lb on each tank trap. 1-2lb on each side of BP waist strap and 8 lbs on my belt. works for me.

Does she by chance dive a DSS plate? They make weight plates that bolt up to their BP (proprietary). I now dive no weight belt.....

---------- Post added February 21st, 2014 at 01:17 PM ----------

another option might be a weight harness....

Your GF is getting bruised because the weight is shifting back and forth as she swims.

A few suggestions: 1) Weight harness such as what DUI sells. 2) Soft weights rather than blocks. 3) A weighted STA from Oxycheq and some others. 4) A neoprene pocketed weight belt. 5) Switching to a rubber belt rather than nylon. 6) Adding weights or pockets with weights on the can straps or harness webbing.

You can use any combination of the above.

Put a few pounds on each camband in a couple of weight pouches. and as others have mentioned, maybe switch to soft weights or a harness or something...

Rather that making her rig ultra heavy I too suggest a weight harness such as the DUI Weight & Trim. That will give her more freedom in weight placement and does not bind the lead to her as a belt must. Especially in a drysuit it is a much more secure solution. The ability to carry the weight away from the natural hips can enable some easy trim adjustments.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom