Woman killed by Eagle Ray in Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Even more bizarre as she was in the boat at the time.

cbs4.com - FWC: Woman Killed In Freak Eagle Ray Incident

Jorge Pino, with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said a woman was on a boat with her family off Marathon when an Eagle Ray jumped out of the water next to the vessel Thursday morning. The animal reportedly struck the 55-year old woman who fell backward and suffered a severe head trauma.

Initial reports had indicated that the animal's sharp defensive barb, located near the base of its tail, had lodged in the woman's neck.

The woman, who was from Michigan, died before help could arrive.

Investigators say the victim, whose name has not been made public, was aboard a boat with here sister, father, and mother.

An eyewitness told cbs4.com that a child had been injured and was taken to a hospital, but that report has not been confirmed by investigators.

The Eagle Ray is common in the waters off South Florida and the Keys.
These rays can grow extremely large; up to 17 feet in length including the tail with a wingspan of up to 10 feet. The long tail, which is armed with sharp barb, looks like a whip and may be as long as the body.

Eagle Rays live close to the coast in depths of 3 to 60 feet and in exceptional cases they are found as deep as 900 feet.
The Eagle Ray is most commonly seen along sandy beaches in very shallow waters. The ray's two wings sometimes break the surface and giving the impression of two sharks traveling together.

Oh great. Between a stingray killing Steve Irwin and now an eagle ray, becomming a murderer they are doomed.

Even more bizarre as she was in the boat at the time.
The animal reportedly struck the 55-year old woman who fell backward and suffered a severe head trauma.

Although it's speculation, I would believe the head trauma is what lead to her demise, not the Eagle Ray..

My condolences to the family in any event.

In all seriousness, condolences to the family. It being a freak accident doesn't diminish their grief at all, I'm sure.

The story was reported by the tv station today. It happened mid-morning in Marathon. The cause of death has not been determined, but she did fall and hit her head. I've seen many Eagle Rays but never seen them jump out of the water. So sorry for her family who witnessed the sad event

BTY, augie, I really don't think this is the place to roll on the floor laughing.

I'm sorry for the loss to family and friends.

There was a similar incident in Coz not that long ago, but in that case the Ray died, and on one was injured.

So the question becomes, why causes an eagle ray to breech the surface, and land in a boat? Was something chasing it? Was it feeding?

Eagle rays breach? Is that known behavior?

There are plenty of stories about fishes injuring people by jumping into their boats. This would just be another except that its a species I didn't think breached.

So the question becomes, why causes an eagle ray to breech the surface, and land in a boat? Was something chasing it? Was it feeding?
The sound of the motor can scare them into jumping. I've had rays jump next to my old boat and I had a barracuda jump clean over my boat, back into the water, in the intracoastal. I believe that rays also jump when they lay eggs.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom