Wolf and Darwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
If I dive in the Galapagos is it foolish not to go to Wolf and Darwin? What is there that you aren't likely to find at the less remote sites? Thanks.

George:

To start with, I've not seen in any other place in the world (other than in Cocos) such a massive concentration of hammerheads and galapagos sharks. Believe me, the crossing to Darwin and Wolf is, definitively, worth doing.

What he said, and on our trip even Cocos paled in comparison to the sheer, dive after dive, consistent big animal encounters.

While the diving in the rest of the Galapagos was great, Wolf and Darwin were the highlight of our trip in Nov 2006, even just seeing Darwin's Arch from above the water with all of the thousands of seabirds flying around it is amazing. We saw schools of hammerheads, schools of eagle rays, and whalesharks @ Wolf and Darwin. It was also the first time I had seen dolphins underwater while diving.

That just sounds awesome! Did you happen to see any whale-sharks while at Darwin/Wolf

No. Unfortunately I did not get to see whalesharks on the week I was at Galápagos. I did see schools of hammerheads, eagle rays and a lot of very inquisitive galápagos sharks. I was told they saw whalesharks on the very next week. I believe it´s me cause the same thing happen when I dove Cocos and Utila.

George,

Based on my trip last October, I'd never dive the Galapagos without doing Wolf and Darwin. While the other islands were great, Wolf and particularly Darwin were the best dives I have ever done and this was during a mild El Nino where the water had warmed up reducing the big animal encounters. A few firsts were: first wild dolphin encounter, first hammerheads (not to mention schooling hammerheads) and best of all, multiple whale sharks on six of eight dives at Darwin.

Here is a link to my trip report, hopefully it will give you an idea of what you expect at Wolf and Darwin:

http://www.kydiver.net/diving_the_galapagos_islands.htm

About midway down the report is a video clip of a whale shark. That's my wife swimming about a foot off the pectoral fin. As the shark swam by she had one those OH $&!% moments when she remembered "these things have tails!" if she hadn't rolled out of the way, she would have been knocked into the next century.

As expensive as this trip is, IMHO you have got to do Wolf and Darwin. It absolutely killed me to turn down an invite to go back this September, but unfortunately, my travel budget is thoroughly shot for year.

Back
Top Bottom