Wish I had a pee valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as apposed to highly desirable pee?

I lot of people drink their pee.

"Its sterile and I like the taste."
Rip Torn

Reactions: OTF
Pee valves — the second best thing invented for scuba diving.

I never dive without plumbing in.

And don't forget to shave before using the condom the first time.

Michael
you must be tough - i shave before every dive

I skimped on the manufacturing of my custom Bare Trilam Pro Dry by eliminating a pee valve in its construction. I am having second thoughts regarding the importance and neccessity of having an aparatus of some kind to catch and dispose of unwated pee quickly.

Any solutions regarding this matter is greatly appeciated.

Mr. Ed
i couldn't do without one- one thing is absolutely crucial make sure the valve is working and open - if you pee with it blocked youll a) be very uncomfortable b) get a urinary infection and get very sick by day 3. I have a 7 day antibiotic course i take with me everywhere in case i get caught. I asked my doctor for pills and gave me extras

I was 2 days out from land when i got an infection, I didn't want to spoil everyone else's time by heading back -needless to say was very sick once i got home.

istockphoto-507769939-612x612.jpg

Hmm. I maybe one is the unique one here. Although I have pee valve in all my suit, for single tank dives, I do even bother to hook up. I just pee before and after the dives. For longer dives with doubles, yes I always hook up the plumbing.

OP just finished OW, I am not sure the valve is absolutely necessary. But If OP needs one, it is no big deal. DIY or LDS can do it very cheaply.

Hmm. I maybe one is the unique one here. Although I have pee valve in all my suit, for single tank dives, I do even bother to hook up. I just pee before and after the dives. For longer dives with doubles, yes I always hook up the plumbing.

OP just finished OW, I am not sure the valve is absolutely necessary. But If OP needs one, it is no big deal. DIY or LDS can do it very cheaply.

Depends on dives and site. Local shore dive with bathroom, don't bother. No bathroom yup hook up

Depends on dives and site. Local shore dive with bathroom, don't bother. No bathroom yup hook up
yes agree, water temperature, hydration levels especially if deco diving , dive time length and possible prostrate issues for men all have a bearing - as soon as i hit the water i want to go !

The great thing about a pee valve #123...

You drink before you dive. If not plumbed in there's a temptation to not drink before diving. This is especially important if it is a longer dive and one that's got a bit of deco.

Before every dive I neck a 500ml/pint of water as I'm kitting up. OK, if I'm thirsty. At the very least it means I've enough spit to clean the mask and lubricate my dryglove seals.

Pee valve tips...

• Leave a long hose on the pee valve so it routes through the waistband of your underpants. Your 'old chap' will be laid vertically and pointing into the pee valve hose, i.e. no kinks.

• Use a quick disconnect which has a valve. This means you can easily kit up into the drysuit having some time previously attaching catheter with the other end of the quick-disconnect

• When getting out of the drysuit, get a bottle of water and take mouthfuls and blow into the pee valve to flush it through. Blow air (from your lungs) through and repeat. There's nothing worse that the smell of stale piss, not to mention the possibility of infection. Have been doing this for years and it never smells, indicating that the flushing is effective.

• Catheters. They must fit. Too small is just as bad as too large.

• "Apeel" medical adhesive remover -- if you're using a sticky catheter such as the Rochester Widebands, this makes removing it a lot less painful. Or just man-up and pull it off!

• A bit of shaving of the forest is prudent. Not a full shave, but a quick trim around the shaft makes rolling the thing on far less painful as the hair sticks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom