Wisdom software doesn't have any (wisdom)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geokr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope you're reading this, Mr. Rep, because I've pretty much had my fill of the software that you supply at substantial cost that doesn't work, works incorrectly and requires constant updating that only seems to introduce more new problems. Come on - PC software isn't new or a big mystery. If your programmers can't seem to get a simple data file download right what does that say about the rest of your product?

In trying to download last weeks 9 dives with this garbage the:
- Automatic update did not update
- Would not allow me to check the boxes of the dives I wanted to download nor did the All Dives or New Dives sort work either
- So, it would not update my log until I found and loaded the new software which, not surprisingly, the installer says is again a beta 'cause this sure ain't ready for prime time
- The first attempt at downloading recorded my new 9 dives as occuring in 2000, not 2010....WTF? (my year settings on the Wisdom are correct, by the way)
- Mysteriously was off by one day of the month as well
- Mysteriously added dive locations to the new dives that I did not enter - where did those come from?

I now have to reconstruct my log from an archive copy which, fortunately, I keep because I don't trust your software above sea level and am wondering why I should underwater. This has been a recurring problem for the five years I've owned a Wisdom. I have a current and up to date PC without any known problems other than your software. For what I paid for both the dive computer and software I and the rest of us shouldn't be having constant problems with what should be a mature and stable program by now. Fix it....

Dear geokr,

I am sorry to hear that you are so frustrated and that your concerns regarding the software download have created concerns regarding the dive equipment. I will work with you to try and solve the issues you are faced with. There are several questions that need to be asked so I am going to PM you with all those questions.

That being said, I admit that the PC software download is not as user friendly some other Microsoft products. But let me assure you and anyone else reading this forum that this should in no way create concerns for the other products. The Software Engineer that does the dive computer is different from the software engineer that does the PC/DC integration. This is different from engineers that design our other products like regs and BCs. There is no correlation between the two.

You will get a PM from me in just a few minutes.

Thanks,
Sherwood Scuba Rep.

I restored the file with my backup from Feb 2010 and re-downloaded the new dives using the updated software again - this time no problems. Still, you're right, this software isn't easy to use but it should be by now. There's only one name on your product - Sherwood - and it all gets the same reputation regardless of whether or not it's in the Wisdom or out.

I downloaded two dives Sunday night and they showed the year as 2000 also. The date was set correctly on my computer. I restored from a backup file same as geokr did, downlaoded the dives again, and all was fine. Is this just an odd coincidence, or is there a problem with the software? I am using 2.1.0 beta version software.

Last edited:
SEMO Scuba... 2.1.0 is the most recent version. What is the date of the build?

I hope you're reading this, Mr. Rep, because I've pretty much had my fill of the software that you supply at substantial cost that doesn't work, works incorrectly and requires constant updating that only seems to introduce more new problems. Come on - PC software isn't new or a big mystery. If your programmers can't seem to get a simple data file download right what does that say about the rest of your product?

Embedded systems (the dive computer and it's firmware) are much more controllable (from a software development standpoint) than Windows applications, because Windows is a moving target with an unbelievable large number of ways of doing any particular task, some of which work better than others (or not at all) under various versions of Windows.

While I'm not giving whoever wrote the software a "get out of jail free" card, it's not really valid to compare a device where the manufacturer controls every bit, byte and hardware specification to a random PC running unknown versions of whatever that happens to be installed on it.

This is why your PC locks up every now and then, but your microwave oven doesn't.

• - Automatic update did not update

Generally an antivirus/firewall/etc. problem. Programs can't simply assume they'll have a working network connection.
  • - Would not allow me to check the boxes of the dives I wanted to download nor did the All Dives or New Dives sort work either

That just sounds broken.
  • - So, it would not update my log until I found and loaded the new software which, not surprisingly, the installer says is again a beta 'cause this sure ain't ready for prime time

Handing out beta software is usually a no-win situation for the vendor. It's generally not in good enough shape to give to real users, and in fact, real beta testing is generally done with selected users who don't actually need it to work, and will provide feedback. On the other hand if the existing version doesn't work, it's really tempting to give out the beta.
It sounds like the software needs a good housecleaning (or a re-write) and a good QA process.

Terry

SEMO there is a new build date from 1-07-10. Click on the Auto Update feature and get the newest build. That will address the incorrect date issue.

Embedded systems (the dive computer and it's firmware) are much more controllable (from a software development standpoint) than Windows applications, because Windows is a moving target with an unbelievable large number of ways of doing any particular task, some of which work better than others (or not at all) under various versions of Windows.

While I'm not giving whoever wrote the software a "get out of jail free" card, it's not really valid to compare a device where the manufacturer controls every bit, byte and hardware specification to a random PC running unknown versions of whatever that happens to be installed on it.

This is why your PC locks up every now and then, but your microwave oven doesn't.

• - Automatic update did not update

Generally an antivirus/firewall/etc. problem. Programs can't simply assume they'll have a working network connection.
  • - Would not allow me to check the boxes of the dives I wanted to download nor did the All Dives or New Dives sort work either

That just sounds broken.
  • - So, it would not update my log until I found and loaded the new software which, not surprisingly, the installer says is again a beta 'cause this sure ain't ready for prime time

Handing out beta software is usually a no-win situation for the vendor. It's generally not in good enough shape to give to real users, and in fact, real beta testing is generally done with selected users who don't actually need it to work, and will provide feedback. On the other hand if the existing version doesn't work, it's really tempting to give out the beta.
It sounds like the software needs a good housecleaning (or a re-write) and a good QA process.

Terry

Terry is quite correct. The number of hardware/software combinations on Windows computers is massive. It is much simpler to have total control over an embedded device.

I would like to add, the example of your microwave not locking up is not always true anymore. Although life-critical software like a dive computer is still coded from scratch, things like microwaves, televisions, DVD players, etc. are now using an embedded operating system (typically Linux) and MANY third party libraries. In other words, expect to see your microwave lock up occasionally. :(

Back
Top Bottom