Wireless/hoseless or hosed air integrated computer?

What kind(s) of air integrated computer do you use?

• Wireless/hoseless air integrated computer

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • Hosed air integrated computer

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A recent poll revealed that half of the respondents used an AI computer How do you dive?. The poll did not differentiate between wireless/hoseless AI computers and hosed AI computers. For AI computer users, please designate whether you use a wireless/hoseless AI computer, a hosed AI computer, or both.
upload_2019-1-14_9-17-49.png

Wireless AI but always have a traditional SPG as a backup. It is clipped off on my left hip. I no longer check it during the dive as my Perdix AI has been flawless. But I have it as a backup and have no intention of removing it.

I have used the Oceanic Pro Plus 3 console and the Oceanic OCi wireless. Both have worked very well, but I prefer the OCi because it is small and handy. I carry a small SPG in my dive bag for backup if necessary.

An AI computer on a hose means it can't be on my right wrist, so is unacceptable for me. OTOH, I love my Shearwaters with AI and am considering removing the backup SPG completely.

Guess that makes me the odd man out diving an Atomic Cobalt II hosed. I can't seem to make myself get on board with wireless AI. Something about the transmitter I just don't trust. Yes I could have a hosed SPG, but then doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

Guess that makes me the odd man out diving an Atomic Cobalt II hosed. I can't seem to make myself get on board with wireless AI. Something about the transmitter I just don't trust. Yes I could have a hosed SPG, but then doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

No, not really. Having a backup SPG on my left hip is like it isn't even there. The convenience and flexibility of my pressure and TTS on my wrist is honestly very, very nice. I never have to reach back, unhook SPG, bring it around, check it, and re-stow it. So no, having a backup doesn't defeat the purpose, at least not for me. Also, my Perdix AI has been rock solid. NEVER a connection issue ... ever.

With all of that said, since my Perdix AI has been so flawless I may someday drop the SPG for recreational dives. I watch my air frequently enough and know my SAC well enough that I feel I can confidently and safely end the dive with adequate reserves if I were to lose the connection for some reason.

Hosed Oceanic Datamax Pro plus, now onto Pro plus2, with a recently added Oceanic Geo2 on my wrist. I haven’t bothered adding a backup SPG but might. For my dives I’m usually returning with over over 1000 PSI so as long as nothing is leaking and I have a close buddy for backup I could finish using time. Solo I would surface, and I only solo very shallow. Reading about the early days of diving with J valves is interesting. If I had the $$$ I’d get a Shearwater Teric.

Oh, my buddies are a couple so if one needs air from me there is the other as well. Hmmm maybe time for backup spg...

I was using a brass and glass for a long time but recently I got a new regulator setup.
I went with just the AI transmitter with my shearwater perdix. I love the simplicity.

I don’t feel like I really need a backup, I haven’t had any problems yet. I look at it often enough that if I lose connection I know I’ll have enough air to slowly assend and do a safety stop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom