Winter Opportunities for Captains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am helping an owner move his 42' Trawler from Beaufort, NC to Annapolis, MD the 1st week of January. I was wondering where good places to look for other opportunities for short term gigs like this for licensed Captains during the winter offseason?

I am not looking for big pay, I just want to stay busy and on the water.

Captain James: I have done a few deliveries - when it suits me. Leave your card with yacht brokers and boatyards. Those who sell and repair boats often know owners who need boats moved. I am probably too cautious in accepting delivery jobs, but a delivery crew was rescued yesterday off the Washington coast from a sinking 72 footer. I love to have the owner on board because he can see what conditions you face. Owners who have never been on the ocean and just want the job done "cheap and fast", I avoid. Some of my most pleasant experiences have come from delivery jobs, e.g. encountering a pod of blue whales.
Good Luck - Curt

I'm considering applying to be a channel/shallow water marker on the ICW just past Jarrett Bay. I'll stand on the top deck of the house and wave at the snowbird boaters. Reckon I could get a mention in the navigation hazard update?
Either that or maybe I'll trudge back to the university for 16 weeks.......
Mike

Back
Top Bottom