winter manatee dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thinking of doing a long weekend sometime this winter to dive with manatees - have a few questions that maybe someone can help with
- what time of the year is best - as I understand it Crystal River is one of those places that has the same water temp year round - is that correct?
- I understand the rules - no touching the manatees - but if they touch you that's ok - I'm sure there are more I need to learn
- are you required to go with a local dive operation or are there places where you can get in the water and go on your own?
Looked though old posts and saw some discussion of manatee diving but couldn't find specific info - thanks in advance for any advice

Did this last winter, can be hit or miss. The reason the winter is the best is the water temperature gets colder in ocean and bays and that drives the manatees into the rivers where the water stays at 72ish degrees. There are places you can find to see on your own but requires a bit of local knowledge. Most of the tour operators have guides that know best places. It is all weather dependent though, if you hit a warm day after several cold ones the manatees will head out to open water in search of food. Open water they can be difficult to find and see as the water vis is much worse than the crystal clear springs.

Typically you snorkel with the manatees rather than scuba, bubbles are disruptive and not enjoyed. You are correct on rules for touching.

There are other scuba locations in the area for diving in conjunction with the manatee snorkeling.

One scuba store is Swim with manatees tour in Crystal River FL. Visit Crystal River on a snorkel with the manatee tour to see Florida all year. A little pricy but they are professional and reputable.

There are public places you can get into the river and swim a canal or two to get to them. I recommend going with Byrd's your first time. They are required to show a video on what's OK and what's not OK and that's a great intro for most.

I've gone with River Ventures (www.riverventures.com) and had a great experience both times. They also show a video about do's and don't before you get in the water. They also supply everything but I did bring my own mask and snorkel.

As others have said, winter time is far better because that's when they congregate up in the rivers to be near the warm springs. This past February I saw probably 100 in one area floating with their backs out of the water.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom