Winter is coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Move to Bonaire. It's part of the Netherlands, ad the diving is fabulous.
DivemasterDennis

I would love to do that, but I think that my parents won't agree with me taking their creditcard to live on Bonaire.

There's no real reason to stop diving in winter in the Netherlands, even if you don't own a drysuit. Do shorter dives and enjoy the calm at the popular dive sites.

Or you might give indoor diving a try: http://www.nemo33.com. It's a nice daytrip, easy to reach without a car from the Netherlands: take the train to Brussels Midi, then tram 4 to Stalle. You only need to bring a towel, swimsuit and dive computer.

There's no real reason to stop diving in winter in the Netherlands, even if you don't own a drysuit. Do shorter dives and enjoy the calm at the popular dive sites.

Or you might give indoor diving a try: PLONGÉE Magasin Cours Ecole Formation Bruxelles Belgique RESTO thai jolie terrasse NEMO33 World's deepest scuba diving pool DUIKEN PADI LIFRAS NELOS - Magasin cours plongée Bruxelles Belgique. It's a nice daytrip, easy to reach without a car from the Netherlands: take the train to Brussels Midi, then tram 4 to Stalle. You only need to bring a towel, swimsuit and dive computer.

I can certainly recommend Nemo33 for a nice day out. We usually make a trip down there in the winter at some point and I've always enjoyed it.

As for diving in the winter without a drysuit, I wouldn't recommend it. Water temperatures fall to about 2C in the heart of winter (my "coldest" dive ever was -2C on the surface) and in my opinion that's just too cold to be diving in a wetsuit. Even with a drysuit, thick undergarment and using sodium acetate pads in my undergarment I'm in and out in 35 min or so in the heart of winter.

Jord, there are some shops that are open and keep diving all winter. Sublub in Amstelveen is one of them. I'm sure there are others.

R..

Or you could join a dive school in or around Haarlem. It's always nice and important to practice and learn skills with fellow divers in a swimming pool. For example, with mine, in Katwijk, we train on Fridays evening.

Or you could join a dive school in or around Haarlem. It's always nice and important to practice and learn skills with fellow divers in a swimming pool. For example, with mine, in Katwijk, we train on Fridays evening.

That's a good suggestion too. Especially NOB clubs have frequent pool sessions and the membership fees are pretty modest. As an SSI diver it's a simple matter to join an NOB club and cross over. It might be a good option if there's a club in Haarlem.

In terms of training, I don't know how it is now but years ago I used to get a lot of NOB divers crossing over to PADI at the advanced level because the training (although quite thorough) was very slow. A few years ago they changed their protocols and I don't see the crossovers anymore so I'm assuming the tempo has been upped a bit. That said, it's possible to cross over and take certs from SSI, PADI and NOB pretty much interchangeably now so you don't have to worry about getting "stuck" with any particular system.

R..

Or you might give indoor diving a try: PLONGÉE Magasin Cours Ecole Formation Bruxelles Belgique RESTO thai jolie terrasse NEMO33 World's deepest scuba diving pool DUIKEN PADI LIFRAS NELOS - Magasin cours plongée Bruxelles Belgique. It's a nice daytrip, easy to reach without a car from the Netherlands: take the train to Brussels Midi, then tram 4 to Stalle. You only need to bring a towel, swimsuit and dive computer.

I'm going to nemo 33 next week for my deep dives and after that I'll be aow :)

Can you do your deep dives in Nemo with SSI?

I know PADI allows it but you'll only be certified for diving in Nemo if you do. You should double check that if you do your deep dives in that pool that your AOW will also be valid in open water.

R..

Can you do your deep dives in Nemo with SSI?

I know PADI allows it but you'll only be certified for diving in Nemo if you do. You should double check that if you do your deep dives in that pool that your AOW will also be valid in open water.

R..

I checked it, thanks for the concern though. As for joining another diveclub meh. I just need to find myself a regular buddy that isn't afraid of cold water

our official warm water season starts on the first of November, but hey its Queensland Australia, so there really isn't ever a cold water dive per say.
there is regular flights from Amsterdam to Brisbane, so safe up some coin and go really diving,
albeit
diving in Europe during winter is also an experience, there is plenty who are willing to break the ice,
you may have to check local dive blogs maybe in Germany.
alternatively use the winter time to hone your skills in the pool,:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom