Winter gear storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have officially called it a wraps on my first scuba season. Looking to store my gear for the winter. I'm taking everything in from the garage, and just curious if I need to do anything before I pack it all away for the winter? My wetsuit, BC and Lycra suit are all hanging in the closet. I have integrated weight pockets..that have solid lead weight bricks in them. Can I leave them in there, or should i take them out? I leave them in there during the season, maybe I should be taking them out then too? Everything else was rinsed really well after my last dive (figured it would be last) and a little oil put on my two diver knives. Anything special I need to do to my regs? Anything else I need to consider? Thanks!!!

Dave

Take the weights out and rinse them (no one else but me rinses weights, I think). Leaving them in means SALT water in constant contact with the BC. Rinse regs.
Consider doing one dive in a day and have a "cold" plan. I dive all winter wet in Nova Scotia. It's a PAIN, but keeps me in the habit and it's no biggee starting in May. I just dived today in 50F water and 34F air. If you hang it up for winter consider baby shampoo on the wetsuit, especially if you pee in it.
I'll be diving in RI next summer--any advice on sites other that Ft. Wetherill, King's Beach or Queens Bridge, as we'll be looking to dive in the Newport area.

Take the lead out. Might be a good idea to take your regs for service now (if you do it every year) so they’re ready first thing in the spring.

Might be a good idea to take your regs for service now (if you do it every year) so they’re ready first thing in the spring.

They were just serviced in July when I started diving. Do they need to go again? I am actually pondering getting a new reg, the one I have is like 20 years old, so if these need to go in again, that might make my decision easier.

They were just serviced in July when I started diving. Do they need to go again? I am actually pondering getting a new reg, the one I have is like 20 years old, so if these need to go in again, that might make my decision easier.

My stuff goes in yearly. I time it for the off season here on the Great Lakes so I’m not missing dives during the season. I don’t know what you’ve got. Others here will be able to advise on how often to take them in.

First off, there is no off season gear needs to be used.

Second let me know when your ready to go diving.

As for storage remove weight rinse well once dry hang up in a closet. (Mine gets rinsed and dried in my shower then into my closet once dry)

The challenge for any of us to answer your questions is not knowing your equipment cares (some say they are excellent, yet are not doing it right). If you are diving salt, it might be smart to get your gear inspected by your LDS. It may not be necessary to service or repair anything, but it would be good to see if you are doing it right. Until you have and know good habits, getting stuff checked out is always prudent.

As to storage, I'd suggest getting the weight out of the BC. Everything rinsed and dried well, and packed "spaciously" away (not smashed into something tightly).

Regs typically should be serviced when they need it...

BTW - 20 years old is not a reason to get new. Wanting new can be the reason....

Take the weights out and rinse them (no one else but me rinses weights, I think). Leaving them in means SALT water in constant contact with the BC. Rinse regs.
Consider doing one dive in a day and have a "cold" plan. I dive all winter wet in Nova Scotia. It's a PAIN, but keeps me in the habit and it's no biggee starting in May. I just dived today in 50F water and 34F air. If you hang it up for winter consider baby shampoo on the wetsuit, especially if you pee in it.
I'll be diving in RI next summer--any advice on sites other that Ft. Wetherill, King's Beach or Queens Bridge, as we'll be looking to dive in the Newport area.

I leave them in the drop-able pockets, but the pockets themselves are out of the BC. I rinse the pockets in a bucket of water and wetsuit soap as well as the suit itself.
As for dive spots, I'm still VERY new with a whopping 8 dives under my belt, so I'm still learning locations. My last few dives were off my boat and we were spearfishing and clamming. Not really super colorful dives, so depends on what you are looking to do. There is a local shop near me that does charters. They go to some really cool spots and it's only like $100 or a bit more depending on where they are going for the day., He doesn't have the dives up for next year up yet, but check out Giant Strides website in the Spring. I've only done shore dives at King's so far.

Gaint stride does good charters, the pinnacle here is a really good dive. I just did fort Adam's, very low key shallow easy dive. CT is not far from RI so might want to check them out as well.

Winter storage? What is this thing you speak of? Here I am last weekend, sunset over Catalina Island, contemplating a night dive. :)

3f92O6.jpg

More on point, if I am storing dive gear for any length of time I make sure the area is cool and dry and make sure the neoprene parts (wetsuits, gloves, booties) are stored loose and not compressed. My drysuit (which I hardly ever use) is stored loose in an over-sized bag. I make sure my regs are bone dry before storing. Other than that there's not much else to do. My 2psi.

Back
Top Bottom