Winter Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I misread. He has a wetsuit hood and wetsuit gloves, so I guess he has a drysuit. Wonder why he wouldn't have dry hood & gloves?

Most people use neoprene hoods. The only “dry” hoods are latex ones that are a hood/neck seal combo. I think they’re mostly used by public safety divers.

No clue why no dry gloves.

A few 'winter diving tips':

1) don't touch cold metal (cylinders / regs) with bare hands.
2) were a hat / beanie before, between and after.
3) get drygloves. If not, buy 2 sets of quality wet gloves (a dry one for each dive)
4) use a dry hood for the second dive
5) if you start to get cold, end the dive. Don't tough it out, you won't get warmer.
6) it's all about layering.
7) don't leave wet regs in the car overnight if it's frosty.

Wow, what a response, this is brilliant and thank you.

To answer a couple of questions I noticed people asking about my gear, I'm in my first 12 months of diving and during the lock downs I've been buying my own equipment. I noticed in the divevshop on the second hand shelf a set of neoprene gloves and neoprene hood, they are quite thick so I bought them thinking they would be handy, so that explains why I have those rather than dry gloves.

The good news is I have a drysuit on the way I should be getting that pretty soon also I got a used cylinder as well from my local dive shop fully tested, so now I don't have to hire any equipment ever again which is great.

I have a set of thermal bottoms and top from when I used to work in a cold warehouse so I will dig those out and use them along with my thermal undersuit. And I have a load of bennie hats and balaclavas.

I will have a look at investing in another set of gloves and another hood for doing multiple dives.

Thanks again for all the advice, it really is appreciated.

John

The only “dry” hoods are latex ones that are a hood/neck seal combo.

I've always wondered - do these hoods provide warmth just because your head is dry or is there any insulating value?

I was diving in Mendota last weekend. 35F water with my drysuit, dry gloves, 5/7mm hood, undergarments but no heated vest yet. Seems like I can take about 30-40 minutes before I'm getting cold. There were a few dives I've done in Lake Michigan in a 7mm suit, hood and gloves but I'm not sure how I tolerated that.

I've always wondered - do these hoods provide warmth just because your head is dry or is there any insulating value?

I was diving in Mendota last weekend. 35F water with my drysuit, dry gloves, 5/7mm hood, undergarments but no heated vest yet. Seems like I can take about 30-40 minutes before I'm getting cold. There were a few dives I've done in Lake Michigan in a 7mm suit, hood and gloves but I'm not sure how I tolerated that.

It’s just latex. You have to wear a beanie under. I know one recreational diver who wears the latex hood/seal combo as he needs to keep his ears dry due to a tendency to get frequent ear infections.

Has anyone got any other advise on how to best prepare.

Keep yourself warm, well rested and well fed prior to the dive. Else you will feel cold. Shelter from wind would be beneficial too.

There are many types of dryglove systems, each one sucks for some reason, so just pick your favorite, or get them all :D Personally, I like simple Nordic blue dry gloves (or similar) with latex seals (and someone to help me dress the second glove), but fixed drygloves are another option, or various ring systems. You never own enough drygloves and the debate is never ending.

Some advice for really cold weather:

• Exhalation is moist. If moist air enters a regulator on the surface, and temperature is well below freezing, a leak could develop and then you have to bathe a long time in the water with your tank closed before that ice crystal melts away and the leak hopefully goes away :D
  • In freezing temperatures it is advisable that you open your drysuit zipper post dive before it freezes.
  • Bring hot water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom