Winter diving around eastern kentucky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyaquaman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. Does anyone have any suggestions for wither diving? I live in Paintsville, Ky and I'm looking for somewhere to go diving this winter. Is it possible?

Kyaquaman

Right now I am working on trying to get enough people together to open up Pennyroyal (Hopkinsville, KY) On Sun. Dec. 20th. A little bit of a drive for you, so don't know if you'd be interested. As it stands right now I have 3 "for sures" (including myself) & 5- 6 "maybes". Right now until April, pennyroyal is on their winter schedule which is you must make reservations & there must be a minimum of 4 divers to open the quarry. I'm not sure what the arrangement for Joes (Falling Rock) is. Mermet is open year round but closed on Wed. & Sun. During the winter months. I honestly don't know much about diving the eastern part of the state.

Last edited:
Right now I am working on trying to get enough people together to open up Pennyroyal (Hopkinsville, KY) On Sun. Dec. 20th. A little bit of a drive for you, so don't know if you'd be interested. As it stands right now I have 3 "for sures" (including myself) & 5- 6 "maybes". Right now until April, pennyroyal is on their winter schedule which is you must make reservations & there must be a minimum of 4 divers to open the quarry. I'm not sure what the arrangement for Joes (Falling Rock) is. Mermet is open year round but closed on Wed. & Sun. During the winter months. I honestly don't know much about diving the eastern part of the state.

Thank you Tstormdiver for the invatation. I don't have a dry suit at this time and I believe it would be a lil bite chilly. Thank you anyway but I will have to pass this time. Thank you again.

Trevor

Without a drysuit, your winter diving options will be quite limited. The water temps are bearable in a 7mm with a hooded vest ... at least for the 1st dive. It's the surface interval that's the problem. After coming out of the water cold and wet, it's very hard to warm up. If you are able to get warm, you're then looking at getting back into a cold, damp wetsuit for the 2nd dive.

With the right surface amenities and some tricks, it can be done. You need a shelter to get in that is warm and out of the wind. At local quarries this typically requires a propane heater and an existing shelter or a canopy with attached sides. Getting ready for a 2nd dive absolutely requires warm water. Not hot ... but warm. In the past, before I bought my drysuit, I would bring old gallon milk jugs filled with hot water in a cooler. By the time I needed them they'd be warm and no longer hot. These would be used to warm up the suit, gloves and hood before the 2nd dive. I'd then pour some of the water between the suit and my skin before getting in the water.

Another problem you're going to have is access. Many of the local quarries close over the winter. One place that is kinda close to you is Blue Springs Quarry in Waldron, IN. It is always open. It's pretty much a 'self-serve' dive site these days. Sign yourself in, drop the money in the slot and dive at your own risk. It also has a nice shelter with covered sides. All you'd need is a propane heater and some jugs of hot water. It's not a very exciting site, but it has decent depth and some stuff to look at. I usually hit it a few times during the winter when I need a fix. I rarely dive it the rest of the year. At $20 it's too expensive to justify diving there other than for getting that winter fix when there are few other options.

Jim, I have found that you can keep that water quite warm with some Thermos bottles, a large coffee carafe or any insulated container. I did my first year in a wetsuit. That's what convinced me to go dry. I also have a propane heater That is a godsend for SI's. You know,.... I wonder how one of those Large (tall) propane patio heaters would work, if you were diving in an area where there was no real shelter. Just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom