wing won't float gear!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m:
ahh Tobin, you got me!!!!
i'm estimating using what i've worn in the past... i will actually be in the water this weekend to dial in my weight ( with your rig). i'll be using 22lb on the plate(maximum the pockets will carry, hopefully won't need it... the less the better) and the plate(6lb) i will also have a weight belt avavilable to add any needed weight. i finally have ALL my gear that i'll be using (congratulate me!) and i won't be renting NO MORE! so once i get dialed in, i won't have to adjust it (for local cold water conditions)
it will be fresh water this weekend (52F...brrrr)getting bouyancy down- so i think i'll get a pretty good idea where i need to be in cold saltwater (+1lb for every 40lb of diver and gear is what i've heard, is this accurate?)

Yes fresh water to salt, add 1 lb of ballast for every 40 lbs or diver and gear 1/40 = 2.5%......

jon m:
i was probably over weighted in rental gear, but i don't want to spend my time in monterey trying to figure out how much weight i need (within a lb or two would be great). also, all my previous diving was done with a bc, and i have a feeling i'll be dropping a pound or two with the more streamlined/less bulky bp (less water displacement=less bouyant?)

BP&W's are typically more streamlined than a BC, but the main reason you can "drop weight" in BP&W vs a Jacket is the BP&W has no floaty pads.

jon m:
if you could help or point me the way with the difference in weighting (real lbs) of a steel100 compared to an alum80 that would be great!

Best way is the in water weight check you are planning, not a bunch of estimates and adjustments.

Good luck,

Tobin

My Dive Rite Venture wing will not float my rig without me in it. That is if I am diving my HP steel 100, SS BP, and 6lbs integrated (in Zeagle weight pockets attached to BP). I don't plan on getting out of it though so I haven't had a huge problem. With the above setup and weighting I am wearing a 7mm farmer jand and a 3 mm jacket. Basically I think this happens because I am so darn bouyant wearing that much neoprene that my rig has to be a bit negative. Now if my drysuit ever gets here I will see how that work instead!

Do you forsee this being a problem? if so what sort of solution would you recommend? Just looking for opinions and discussion.

Miranda

cinder4320:
My Dive Rite Venture wing will not float my rig without me in it. That is if I am diving my HP steel 100, SS BP, and 6lbs integrated (in Zeagle weight pockets attached to BP). I don't plan on getting out of it though so I haven't had a huge problem. With the above setup and weighting I am wearing a 7mm farmer jand and a 3 mm jacket. Basically I think this happens because I am so darn bouyant wearing that much neoprene that my rig has to be a bit negative. Now if my drysuit ever gets here I will see how that work instead!

Do you forsee this being a problem? if so what sort of solution would you recommend? Just looking for opinions and discussion.

Miranda

Any BC should be able to;

Float your rig at the surface without you in it (nice not have your gear disappear should you ever need to ditch it

And compensate for the loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit (wetsuit compression, or flood of a DS)

I'd recommend moving the 6 lbs in pockets onthe rig to a weight belt.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Jon,

Have you done a careful weight check as per my recommendations, i.e. eyelevel at the surface with an empty wing and a full cylinder?

Tobin
When you do a weight check this way, you have to calculate additional lead needed to offset buoyancy shift for gas in the cylinder, right?
Probably easier to do the check with 500psi. Then the lead he needs is what it is.

Splitlip:
When you do a weight check this way, you have to calculate additional lead needed to offset buoyancy shift for gas in the cylinder, right?

No not really.

What happens to a 7 mil wetsuit from the surface to 15 ft? With a 100 cuft cylinder he's typically going to use about 6 lbs of gas. A wetsuit that is ~25 lb buoyant at the surface will easily loose 6 lbs at 15 ft.

If you doubt this get neutral in a 7 mil at the surface and swim it down to 15 ft. Betcha need to add gas to your BC to stop at 15 ft.

Splitlip:
Probably easier to do the check with 500psi. Then the lead he needs is what it is.

When it's practical, i.e. in 5 mil and heavier wetsuits, I prefer to perform a weight check at the surface with a full cylinder. There are a number of practical reasons for this; you can do it at the start of the dive, you have easy access to spare lead, and one need not dump gas to reach "500" psi. Much easier.

With heavy wetsuit you might find the correct weighting for 500 psi @ 15 ft leaves you positive at the surface at the start of the dive.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
No not really.

What happens to a 7 mil wetsuit from the surface to 15 ft? With a 100 cuft cylinder he's typically going to use about 6 lbs of gas. A wetsuit that is ~25 lb buoyant at the surface will easily loose 6 lbs at 15 ft.

If you doubt this get neutral in a 7 mil at the surface and swim it down to 15 ft. Betcha need to add gas to your BC to stop at 15 ft.

When it's practical, i.e. in 5 mil and heavier wetsuits, I prefer to perform a weight check at the surface with a full cylinder. There are a number of practical reasons for this; you can do it at the start of the dive, you have easy access to spare lead, and one need not dump gas to reach "500" psi. Much easier.

With heavy wetsuit you might find the correct weighting for 500 psi @ 15 ft leaves you positive at the surface at the start of the dive.

Tobin

We'll see. I am ordering a 5mil shortly. With my 3mm I did my buoyancy checks with 500psi and I was barely able to hold my safety stop. My 1mil on the other hand was pretty much dead on.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum called the ultimate wing calculator. It may not dial you in perfectly but if you play with it a little, you begin to understand the effect all of these variables have on your weighting and lift needed. It's not as good as having Tobin as your personal buoyancy guru but check it out anyway.

Splitlip:
We'll see. I am ordering a 5mil shortly. With my 3mm I did my buoyancy checks with 500psi and I was barely able to hold my safety stop. My 1mil on the other hand was pretty much dead on.

It does depend a bit on the suit. Not all neoprene is created equal. Low density "super stretchy" neoprene is more buoyant to start with, and compresses more than high density rubbers.

Keep in mind that if you find yourself a bit "light" at 10 or 15 ft, just swim it down a little until you are neutral. We are talking about single tank dives after all.

Tobin

I am diving doubles with a 6 pound plate and only use 16 pounds of weight. With a Single and aluminum BP I only needed 25 pounds. 30 pounds seems like quite a bit. I am 5' 10" and 230 pounds....also diving a drysuit. I use a DUI weight harness with the dry suit.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom