Wing Lift Capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INQuarryDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I am looking to buying a BPW or Zeagle Express Tech. I am unsure how much lift I'll need from the wing. I'll only be diving relatively warm waters 60 F and above. At most, I've used about 26 lbs of weight in salt water w/ a 5mm wetsuit, and AL80 tank.

I checked the search function couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Is there a formula to determine how much lift is needed?

Any advice is appreciated.

If you are planning only a single AL80 I wouldn't think you'll need more than 30 pounds of lift. But if you need 26 pounds of lead than you might need a bigger wing to allow your rig to float without you in it.

The bigger Express Tech wing (46 lbs???) should be perfect. The bungees do a great job taming the wing to avoid any tacos. Avoid going to small. Everyone thinks it's sexy and I think it's dangerous. I know of one death where this just might have been the cause.

The bigger Express Tech wing (46 lbs???) should be perfect. The bungees do a great job taming the wing to avoid any tacos. Avoid going to small. Everyone thinks it's sexy and I think it's dangerous. I know of one death where this just might have been the cause.

Could you explain this danger further?

I will let Tobin to explain the proper way to estimate lift.

But 46lb is crazy for single tank 5mm wetsuit. You don't even need that much for double 100CF in a drysuit. In cold water diving, the key is to estimate the buoyancy of your suit. If you are willing to construct a balanced rig, the amount of lead you carry has little to do with wing lift capacity because lead does NOT change it buoyancy. BC = buoyancy compensator, it is to compensate things that can change in buoyancy. Majority of these are usually your suit and the gas you are carrying.

If you want to go fully weight integrated, meaning no weight belt at all, you may need a bigger wing the necessary so that the wing can float your rig without you in it.

Most divers in my area, diving drysuits in 45-55F water with single 100CF tank, use 30-35lb wing.

Could you explain this danger further?
I've actually seen people brag about how little lift their BC has. But the old axiom always rings true: Don't try to haul two ton of fertilizer in a one ton truck.

Now, I'm a big believer in having a "balanced rig"... one that needs little to no air in your BC is great. Depending on how many tanks you're diving and their composition, it's not always possible. If you're not diving a balanced rig, then you have to have redundant buoyancy if something happens to your primary buoyancy.

If your BC can't float you easily on the surface... without your assistance, then it's too small. Your head is about the same weight as a bowling ball. Your BC should have enough lift to keep you afloat with your head above water, without you having to kick. So you you have to have enough lift to get you completely neutral and then an additional 15 bounds. Are you wearing a drysuit? What do you do if it floods? Weight is warmth, so how do you mitigate all that extra weight you're using to sink that drysuit? So your BC should have enough lift to compensate for that as well. It should have enough lift to get you neutral, to compensate for any lost buoyancy and that 15 pounds needed to keep your head out of water.

Me? I love diving LP120s or LP95s with my sidemount when I go into a cave. Dang, they're heavy! Unfortunately, walking out is not really an option if my BC were to fail. Since I don't dive a drysuit, I dive a double bladder BC to give me needed redundancy.

So, dive a balanced rig, with a BC that will give you enough lift or dive with redundant lift. Just be sure that your buoyancy is sufficient to keep your head afloat.

Ah, the good old days. :)
Yeah, I dove those wings and they were great. Very, very stable and I happened to punch a hole in one and didn't die. Didn't even come close. However, those bungees compressed the bladder. You had to have lungs of steel to inflate the bastards orally. Doable? Of course, but the "work of inflation" was off the charts. :D

Many of today's systems use bungees only to combat the taco effect and don't restrict the inflation one bit. Left to their own devices, wings wrap around your tank and resemble a taco in shape. Strategic use of bungees keeps the wing down, improves stability as well as the drag coefficient without having to sacrifice lift.

So what's the "down side" of having too much lift? None really, except that you lose bragging rights for having the least amount of lift. I dove with the double bladder OMS 100 pound wing for years. Never inflated it to full capacity, never had a runaway inflation causing me to cork to the surface. In spite all of the internet wisdom to the contrary: I didn't frickin' die or even get hurt. Unbelievable, right? It was great but I had student fall in love with my IQ system, so I gave it to him.

Last edited:
Chairman, I do agree everything you just said. But to OP's question, 5mm wetsuit, AL80, do you still recommend 46lb wing?

Chairman, I do agree everything you just said. But to OP's question, 5mm wetsuit, AL80, do you still recommend 46lb wing?
At most, I've used about 26 lbs of weight

26(on belt) +15(for head)= 41 pounds.

Not sure why he needs that 26 pounds, but then I've never worn a 5mm suit. I wore a 7mm once and don't think I used that much weight. How much buoyancy is lost with depth with a wet suit? Using Boyle's law, @33 ft you've lost 50%, At 66ft, you've lost %66, @ 99ft, you've lost %75 and so on. With a dry suit, you have to worry about a total loss of buoyancy. This isn't like weight. I want a little buffer with my lift, 'just in case'. There is no real benefit to having "just enough" lift to get by. In reality, you will probably limit the dives you can accomplish with this false economy.

It doesn't sound so crazy when you start crunching the numbers. Does that explain my rationale?

Just an FYI Northeast Scuba Supply still has the original ET's listed on there site. This is the only place I have found that still lists this version, if that's what you are looking for .
Zeagle Express Tech - 44lb Bladder Version

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom