Wing Decision - VDH vs DGX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaDive

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. I was an active member here years ago, but lost my UN somehow and actually haven't dived in 3 years. In short, I'm excited to be getting back in the game. I came from the east coast and was in the process of building a BPW set up that was never completed. So handy and brand new I have the DGX SS backplate, rigged one piece harness with strap and cam bands. Pretty much all that's missing is the wing. I just want to add a wing - no other changes to the set up. It was interesting to see all the changes in views here over the last three years on vendors and see some great new products come to market.

Basically, I have three scenarios for the BPW combo - (i) local diving in SoCal with drysuit a steel HP100, (ii) warm water diving in a 3mm and hood vest and a AL80 (no matter how warm the warm is, I always wear it) and (iii) my favorite of all, warm water Cozumel with Aldora and the big tanks. Since seeing all of the newer streamlined designs, its only 30+ for me since the additional lift is only helpful for diving at home - and for now, I only have funds for one wing. So its either the DGX 30 (with a note request to flip to a non-vent elbow) or the VDH 35. The cost difference isn't really a big deal, so I'm ignoring that. I'm stuck between this conundrum: (i) DGX has a long track record and a great return policy, but slightly smaller lift and (ii) VDH has the nicer build quality, bigger capacity which could be helpful for cameras and alike but with any small business, there is some risk the owner moves on to bigger and better things. I don't think there is a "wrong choice" here and both seem like great products - I just keep going back and forth between the two and could use some friendly help to shove me off the fence one way. Appreciate it and happy new year!

Hi all. I was an active member here years ago, but lost my UN somehow and actually haven't dived in 3 years. In short, I'm excited to be getting back in the game. I came from the east coast and was in the process of building a BPW set up that was never completed. So handy and brand new I have the DGX SS backplate, rigged one piece harness with strap and cam bands. Pretty much all that's missing is the wing. I just want to add a wing - no other changes to the set up. It was interesting to see all the changes in views here over the last three years on vendors and see some great new products come to market.

Basically, I have three scenarios for the BPW combo - (i) local diving in SoCal with drysuit a steel HP100, (ii) warm water diving in a 3mm and hood vest and a AL80 (no matter how warm the warm is, I always wear it) and (iii) my favorite of all, warm water Cozumel with Aldora and the big tanks. Since seeing all of the newer streamlined designs, its only 30+ for me since the additional lift is only helpful for diving at home - and for now, I only have funds for one wing. So its either the DGX 30 (with a note request to flip to a non-vent elbow) or the VDH 35. The cost difference isn't really a big deal, so I'm ignoring that. I'm stuck between this conundrum: (i) DGX has a long track record and a great return policy, but slightly smaller lift and (ii) VDH has the nicer build quality, bigger capacity which could be helpful for cameras and alike but with any small business, there is some risk the owner moves on to bigger and better things. I don't think there is a "wrong choice" here and both seem like great products - I just keep going back and forth between the two and could use some friendly help to shove me off the fence one way. Appreciate it and happy new year!
I have the VDH 35 and it’s really compact for its lift, the DGX looks pretty good too but I would still go VDH, I wouldn’t worry about Bryan going anywhere but since it uses pretty standard fittings (same with DGX) I don’t think it matters in the long run.

Tough one....both are good companies, both are easy to reach out to for help with any issues that might arise.

I dive year round in a dive rite voyager 35lbs wing. I got it when the DGX was a copy of the dive rite travel wing which was only 25lbs of lift. Had DGX had a 30lb wing at the time I probably would have purchase that instead of what I have.

I like DGX because they are easy to deal with on the phone and by email. I also like their website, it is layed out well and easy to navigate to find the products that interest me.

VDH has a good reputation on SB and are known for the quality of their products. The owner has a presence in the SB forums as well.

The VDH wing has a 400 denier bladder, the DGX wing is 200 denier.

The VDH wing is just slightly wider and just slight taller than the DGX wing.

The DGX wing grommets are 11 inches on center spacing, the VDH is listed as 9.5 inches and 12 inches grommet spacing.

I don't think you can go wrong with either and if you felt buyer's remorse for any reason, I can't imagine you would have a hard time reselling either wing on through the classifieds section of SB.

If you plan to add camera and what not to what you plan to dive with then having the extra lift may be a good idea, but you know the DGX wing will work with the DGX plate you have. I recommend giving Bryan a call at VDH to ask him if his wing is compatible with your plate from a spacing perspective, if it is and you are happy with the price of his wing then that is the direction I would steer you for the higher denier bladder and the slightly extra lift capacity.

-Z

Tough one....both are good companies, both are easy to reach out to for help with any issues that might arise.

I dive year round in a dive rite voyager 35lbs wing. I got it when the DGX was a copy of the dive rite travel wing which was only 25lbs of lift. Had DGX had a 30lb wing at the time I probably would have purchase that instead of what I have.

I like DGX because they are easy to deal with on the phone and by email. I also like their website, it is easy layed out well and easy to navigate to find the products that interest me.

VDH has a good reputation on SB and are known for the quality of their products. The owner has a presence in the SB forums as well.

The VDH wing has a 400 denier bladder, the DGX wing is 200 denier.

The VDH wing is just slightly wider and just slight taller than the DGX wing.

The DGX wing grommets are 11 inches on center spacing, the VDH is listed as 9.5 inches and 12 inches grommet spacing.

I don't think you can go wrong with either and if you felt buyer's remorse for any reason, I can't imagine you would have a hard time reselling either wing on through the classifieds section of SB.

If you plan to add camera and what not to what you plan to dive with then having the extra lift may be a good idea, but you know the DGX wing will work with the DGX plate you have. I recommend giving Bryan a call at VDH to ask him if his wing is compatible with your plate from a spacing perspective, if it is and you are happy with the price of his wing then that is the direction I would steer you for the higher denier bladder and the slightly extra lift capacity.

-Z

Thanks, this is really helpful! I correct my prior statement --- I have the OMS SS backplate, bought from DGX. Anyone have any experienced with the VDH wing on the OMS backplate?

Thanks, this is really helpful! I correct my prior statement --- I have the OMS SS backplate, bought from DGX. Anyone have any experienced with the VDH wing on the OMS backplate?

Quickest way to find out would be to give Bryan a call or PM him on the board: @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose

-Z

All of these wings use basically the same fittings. With some exception I am sure. The VDH wing is very small since it uses the integral and INTERNAL bungee to compact the wing. The quality is high and they are USA made if that matters to you. I try to support democracies including our own whenever possible. A 30 to 35 pounds lift wing would be excellent as a general purpose wing whichever you go with. I, obviously, would go with the VDH.

Look, all of these BC wings are a nylon bag of air (though some like specific models of the Oxy Mack V wings )have an armor type denier. Some use a urethane bladder and some use a fabric bladder, both of course internal to the outer nylon denier bag. Some use a bungee on the outside, some, like the VDH have an internal bungee and some (like Oxy Mach V wings) use clever design and shape to maintain a minimal profile. Just an opinion, I do not like wings that have a central located dump/hose. The VDH and the Oxy wings are offset to the left shoulder clearing room for regulators and hoses. This, my opinion, is optimal for single tank diving. A wing designed for doubles might benefit from the center location.

N

All of these wings use basically the same fittings. With some exception I am sure. The VDH wing is very small since it uses the integral and INTERNAL bungee to compact the wing. The quality is high and they are USA made if that matters to you. I try to support democracies including our own whenever possible. A 30 to 35 pounds lift wing would be excellent as a general purpose wing whichever you go with. I, obviously, would go with the VDH.

Look, all of these BC wings are a nylon bag of air (though some like specific models of the Oxy Mack V wings )have an armor type denier. Some use a urethane bladder and some use a fabric bladder, both of course internal to the outer nylon denier bag. Some use a bungee on the outside, some, like the VDH have an internal bungee and some (like Oxy Mach V wings) use clever design and shape to maintain a minimal profile. Just an opinion, I do not like wings that have a central located dump/hose. The VDH and the Oxy wings are offset to the left shoulder clearing room for regulators and hoses. This, my opinion, is optimal for single tank diving. A wing designed for doubles might benefit from the center location.

N

Thanks. I'm definitely over thinking this - you are exactly right - its a bag of air! Its always fun to debate the minor differences and try to lock into the best choice. Appreciate your views here.

Reactions: Zef
I went with the dgx but I live in south Florida so I’m local to them. I also don’t need a lot of lift. For your use the vdh I think is the better option. Slightly more lift

I have a VDH 18# and use it with the OMS plate. No problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom