Windline Dive Ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in_cavediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a relative novice when it comes to boating but was looking at what it would take to modify out current boat for dive use. One major issue I know of is the ladder. We currently have a single step which is about worthless for swimming, let alone diving. Ultimately, I'd like one good for both. I found this on e-bay and wondered what those with more expierence thought?

http://tinyurl.com/sggog

For the record, our boat is a 1991 Sea Sprite 225c cuddy cabin with the teak swim platform. (which is also something to rebuild). (22ft, cuddy cabin)

For locations of use, think local inland lakes and parts of the great lakes. (we are taking it slow to build expierence prior to vernturing far anywhere)

I'll have more questions as the project progresses.

Thanks!

Yup, that's the ladder you'll want, with a couple possible exceptions. First, you may want to go four step. I don't have a problem with the three steps but the wife does so we have a four step. Second, make sure to get one that floats, it's not if you will drop it in, it's when you will drop it in :). I'm not sure if the Windline floats. I know that the Garelicks and the Armstrongs do. Also, I'm not sure if Windline makes a bracket that will mount on a swim platform like Armstrong and Garelick do.

Is the current ladder a little single stop that flips up on top of the of the swimstep? If
so, then Windline makes a telescoping ladder that will replace it. There's some pictures
of mine at http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/.

I don't care for the christmas tree style ladders like the one you are looking at on ebay.
They are big and clunky and hard to store. It's no big deal to take your fins and gear
off to climb the ladder. I have a buddy who had one. He found it was easier to just
haul himself over the gunwale than to deal with the ladder.

Let me add that ultimately, we want a ladder to support a diver in doubles etc if possible so strength is an issue.

In my experience, anything but the tree style ladders end up bending and are a pain to get on and off since they move around. Not to mention when in two or three foot waves, it's nice to not have to take your fins off to get on the ladder. Diving doubles, a tree style is the really the only ladder that will hold that kind of weight and be realatively easy to climb.

Most of the tree type ladders are rated for 450 pounds. Unless you are an NFL lineman diving doubles you should be OK.

Yep, that's the same ladder we have on our 22 ft. Trophy. Not a problem, good sturdy ladder that holds me (210lb) in drysuit gear with no problem.

Poog:coffee:

That's a 3-step model in the photo. Especially with doubles, the 4-step models are nice to get you started a little deeper in the water. Armstrong and Garelick make 4-step versions: not sure about Windline. I have a 3-step Armstrong ladder on my boat. It's ok, but the next ladder will have the first step 5' below the surface.

Windline doesn't seem to make a four-step version.

I don't have trouble getting started on the ladder, and I've done it with a single a few
times, but I normally take off my tank in the water, clip it off, and pull it into the boat
up forward where the tanks are stored. That's easier than wobbling to the bow with a
tank on.

My ladder has about 600 dive days on it, everybody in drysuits, weightbelt on.
No problems.

Back
Top Bottom