Wilmington,N.C. ledges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wilmington offshore area is known for ledges and also for wrecks both created on purpose and created by nature/war.

Man made wrecks includes: Stone, pochohontas, Hyde (great Sand Tiger spot), Markham, Mickey.

War/nature includes: Gill, Normania, Rosin, Dredge, Houston, and some others.

The ledges are very nice with lots of life. Most are in the 85-105 ft range but Frying Pan is only about 50.

I think it is partly emphasis. The boats out of Morehead will dive a ledge but almost all of their trips run out ot wrecks. You have to special charter a six pack to see hard bottom. On the other hand, the Wilmington operations like Aquatic Safaris advertise and run frequently out to both. They go where ever folks request and folks request both. In fact I have a ledge charter in a week with a couple open slots on it. We are diving 23 mile ledge and Sue's ledge with Aquatic Safaris

---
There are some closer in ledges, I am talking about the big ledges.

Steve: Thanks for the information. I want to do wreck and or deep certs. and also ledges. Are you an instructor? The artificial reef project s. of Alglin's pier in Pompano,was disappointing last April. Would you characterize the area's ledges as very good?

Steve: Thanks for the information. I want to do wreck and or deep certs. and also ledges. Are you an instructor? The artificial reef project s. of Alglin's pier in Pompano,was disappointing last April. Would you characterize the area's ledges as very good?

I am not instructor. Aquatic Safaris also has a PADI shop and has several instructors from OW through the tech levels. I like the ledges. For 23 and Sue the top is around 85-90 and the bottom is 100-105. Ledges are heavily eroded with lots of nooks and crannies. Because of the depth if you want to see color you need a light or strobe on your camera.

Here are some photos I took on the Gill. It is 90ft and in same area as 23 mile ledge. Ledge will have similar growth

Oh, forgot to mention, that the fossil ledges are different. They are pretty flat and are primarily fossil hunting trips.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.camp...0203977653396043.1073741831.1664066201&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/steve.camp...0203343314617970.1073741828.1664066201&type=3

Here are some ledge photos (shot with my older camera)

23 Mile Ledge

NC Dviing August 2013

Most NC Divers dive Nitrox and larger tanks. I dive HP 100s at 1.30. Aquatics rents several sizes of tanks and will provide the mix you request.

Last edited:
I was back out to 23 and Sue on Oct. 25. Great dive conditions. 1 ft seas. Breeze. Water was 72 and 73 at depth. There were a couple on board doing Deep with Aquatic Safaris. Actually doing deep as part of AOW. Some new photos on my facebook page. I know they do wreck classes on the Hyde.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom