Wilmington diver dead - Rockport Massachusetts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Wilmington scuba diver dies after being pulled from Rockport waters - The Boston Globe
A scuba diver from Wilmington was pulled unresponsive from the water at Rockport’s Pebble Beach Thursday morning and later pronounced dead, according to authorities.

Police received a call for a diver in distress at the beach shortly after 10:05 a.m. When they arrived at the scene, public safety personnel found a trio of people surrounding the diver, who was later identified Andrzej Holowenczak, 53. First responders immediately administered CPR and Holowenczak was taken via ambulance to Gloucester’s Addison Gilbert Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Authorities think Holowenczak was in a scuba diving group that consisted of himself and three others. While in the water, members of the group noticed he was unresponsive, pulled him to shore, and then called 911, police said.

No foul play is suspected. The investigation remains active.

Rockport and Gloucester firefighters also responded to the scene, according to police.

During a phone interview Thursday night, David Donnell, a neighbor of Holowenczak’s, said he had a passion for scuba diving.

“He was definitely experienced,” said Donnell, who has known Holowenczak for more than a decade. “That’s why I’m thrown for a loop.”

Donnell said he watched Holowenczak’s dog, a black labrador retriever named Kelly, last year when Holowenczak visited relatives in Poland, where he grew up. He said Holowenczak had a middle school-aged daughter, with whom he shared a love of scuba diving.

“He was a good neighbor and he’s going to be missed,” said Donnell.

Another horrible tragedy. I'm guessing most likely health related, rather than scuba related. Conditions were fairly favorable today, warm, minimal wind. Sounds like the group stayed close to each other, and pulled the guy out of the water alive, although unconscious.

Condolences to the family.

Conditions were fairly favorable today, warm, minimal wind.
I guess that would depend on one's view, you locals are used to such winters, but with a high of 38F yesterday and 47F today reported at Rockport, MA Forecast | Weather Underground - I can't understand why anyone would want to get wet.

I can't understand why anyone would want to get wet.

That I won’t be able to tell you. Some folks like drysuit diving local wrecks in the winter due to better visibility, but that particular site doesn’t offer much besides maybe the easiest shore diving parking at Cape Ann. Personally, I see no point in diving it in December...

From New England I can say we have a large drysuit diving community up here. He was diving in normal and very calm weather conditions for us. There was no more follow up. Definitely tragic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom