Willamette River cleaned from electro scooters(!!), Portland, OR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Multnomah Co Sheriff on Twitter
MCSO’s River Patrol and Dive Team are clearing the “sea wall” on the Willamette River near the Hawthorne Bridge. So far, they have pulled 5 scooters from the river floor and estimate they will recover 15 more.
D97hoElVAAAUeAF.jpg

D97hoEuUwAAx63y.jpg

The
1f6f4.png
count is now at 9.
D97oeuBU0AAjpUy.jpg

Sergeant Dangler says the lights are still working on this
1f6f4.png
It was recovered from the bottom of the Willamette River today! I wonder if it will still run?!
D97v-kEUwAEg6A2.jpg

Multnomah Co Sheriff on Twitter
The team had to quit early because they needed a bigger boat!
D-BWoQBUYAIanMQ.jpg

MCSO’s Dive Team used their training days to go
1f6f4.png
hunting. Here is the haul: 57 scooters/bikes in 2 days! The whole team did a great job removing these from our waterways!
D-BWnRVUEAASYq2.jpg

D-BWnRYU4AEEgYs.jpg

Why are there so many scooters in the water at that location? Pretty much has to be intentional, which if the case, I maintain, people generally suck until proven otherwise.

Those scooters and bikes look like some kind of rentals, perhaps from a city program/network. My first guess was that people steal them, or choose not to return them and throw in the river instead, but I would still expect it to result in far fewer scooters/bikes on the bottom. So I suspect the actual rental company disposes of old/depreciated fleet in such a way.

I haven’t yet given one of these scooters a try—they’re all over the streets here as in so many other cities—but doesn’t the company have a way to detect when a scooter has been left in an unacceptable location, and can then penalize the renter? They use GPS tracking, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom