Will Petrel straps fray if I cut and melt end tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nasser

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So I've gotten to the point where the extra length is bugging me. I like the feel of the straps and don't want to use bungee or o-rings etc.. so was wondering if anyone has done the cut and melt the ends with a lighter method?

I saw another thread on this but just wanted to see if anyone who's done this has experienced any fraying of the material as it's a little different from the usual harness webbing.

it is an elastomeric polymer, but it is still thermoplastic and will seal itself when you burn it. That's how they got the ends to not fray when they assembled the straps.... You can fold it back on itself and hand sew it if you want it to be less of an issue and easier to pull as well.

I have skinny arms, I cut the straps and burnt the ends. I've done just over a hundred dives since purchasing and it seems to be holding up ok.

i have big arms and they are still long, but I actually run mine almost up at my elbow with the wrist slate below it and up there it is mostly let out, very glad they have the long leads for that use. I prefer the computer way up high so the wrist slate is easier to write on, have all the information in relative easy view when I'm dumping gas on ascent, and if I need to reach into a whole in a wreck, my computer is at least a foot away from my finger tips so is less likely to get scratched.

Just use a couple of o-rings slid over the strap to tuck in the extra strap that way you don't hurt the resale by trimming them and they stay out of the way just fine.

No problem.

resale????????????? You sell your gear??????????????????? :fear:

One word...UPGRADE :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom