Will Navionics work without cell service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if Navionics works on an iphone without cell service? Thanks.
According to their website, cell service is not needed, but some kind of Internet connectivity is needed for updates. However, depending on what you are trying to do, much cheaper (i.e., free) off-line maps are available to allow you to GPS-locate yourself.

If you mean the Navionics Boating App, then yes. I use the Android version, but I don't think it's much different on iOS. Would be pretty useless otherwise.
You need internet access to download the maps, of course.
Worth every penny.

I've started using the Navionics Android app while going to and from dive sites.

It works fine with the phone in "airplane mode." You do have to download charts for your area of interest ahead of time. I used it recently on trips in Cozumel and Grand Cayman where I did not have data service, and in the waters around Key West where there wasn't any cellular coverage.

Yes, you do not have to have Wifi or an internet signal or cell service for it to locate you. However, you do need to download the maps using your cellular data plan or Wifi for the area you'll be boating in. So download the maps into your phone before you leave for your trip or outting and you're good to go. And I second "offi": definitely worth every penny!

I see that Navionics has a nice little chart feature on their website. Nice for planning purposes...

Navionics ChartViewer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom