Will Lionfish tacos be on the menu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warmwaterturner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It appears that a new food industry is taking hold in Cozumel. This is an article from Cozumel 4 You [info@czm4you.com]

Lionfish: Selling at $100 pesos a Kilo

After little more than two years of its first sighting in Cozumel’s coasts, the lionfish has become a viable source of income for our local fishermen. In fact, a spokesperson for the “Sociedad Cooperativa de Pescadores Cozumel,” is reporting that with the February 28th closing of lobster season, many fisherman are setting their sights on lionfish and their $100 peso a kilo pricetag.

Good fishing guys!

You got it. We will be there on the 20th of April. Got some room on the boat for a few days?

My girlfriend and I will be diving with you from April 15-25...can't wait to try the lionfish tacos! :)

My girlfriend and I will be diving with you from April 15-25...can't wait to try the lionfish tacos! :)

Very cool - we will be there on the 20th. Hope to meet you guys! We will bring the cervesa! Morgan can do the pico????

When in Cozumel last September, I tried to find lion fish on any menu and had no luck. I think the demand and thus market is still growing.

Hopefully it will catch on.

Have fun.

PH

We were in Coz 2 weeks ago and didn't find Lions on any menu either. But plenty of the pesky devils on the reefs :( Our DMs were actively killing them and feeding them to the waiting mouths of Snappers and the like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom