Will be on both sides in Feb.: Where to dive, who with and do you need a guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are going to Hawaii this year (instead of Bonaire) in mid February for 11 days and I'm looking for recommendations on where to dive, which dive operation to use and if there are shore dives that you do not need a guide for. We will be on both sides; Hilo for 5 nights, Kona for 6.
We are spoiled in Bonaire- just drive to shore marker, don the gear and walk right in, decent and enjoy! It would be nice to find a similar experience because I get motion sick easily.
Also, since this is our first time to HI, we will be snorkeling with our non dive family member, so I'm considering just renting the regulators and BCDs. How's the equipment renting there- worth to bring your own for a few dives or good enough to just rent?

Again, any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
best,
Lori

@Lori Michels I have a couple things that you didn't ask, but it might be worth it to file away as useful information. I have never dove on Hawaii, so I am totally useless as far as that goes, but there are some things that might be helpfull to you especially since you say that you will be traveling with a non-diver.

Are you going to be renting a car to get from Hilo to Kona? If so, there are a couple things to keep in mind. First, Kilauea was very active last year. It may be worth it to check (maybe with AAA) to see if the hiway from Hilo to Kona is still open, or if you have to take the more northern route. Second, no matter which way you use to get from Hilo to Kona, the elevation goes up high enough that it would fall into the same as if you were flying. ( It is probably a good idea to give yourself 24 hours between your last dive and your drive.) The drive will take you right past Volcanoes National Park. It may be worth it to go take a look around. It is breath taking. The drive (if you go the southern route) will also take you right past Punuluu which is famous for its black sand beaches. If, however, you go the northern route, you will go through the saddle between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea and will be able to see the observatories on the top of Mauna Kea.

Take care, and have a great trip!

If you're going to Hilo specifically to dive,I'd rethink that. There's about 2 shore dives and one dive shop - which I don't believe guides. I don't believe there are any boat dive operations on that side either. Hilo is the cruise port but many of the cruise excursion operators (non-dive) shuttle guests over to the Kona side (or the volacnoes etc.)

No guide is needed but you will need to tow a flag (they rent them)

Almost all the Kona shps keep their boats at Honokohau harbor a little north of town. Several of the shops have offices in an industrail mall east of downtown - typically you check in there once then meet the boat at the harbor. We kike Kona Divng Co. but there's several others.Two of them near KDC's office - I believe Big Island and Kona Honu. Jack's Diving Locker is convenient for tank rentals (and boat/guided shore dives) since they're on Alii Dr. - the main road south of Kona.

There's also 2-3 operations in the Waokoloa/Kohala Coast area about 45mins drive north. And further north there are guides who dive the Puako area from shore.

Here's a good reference for many of the shore dives. A little dated but still accurate.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

You should also do the world famous Manta Night Dive while there -every shop does it. Ofen at the same time so their combined lights bring in more Mantas'

Generally speaking the better boat dives are south of Kona - some operators do a 3-tank extended trip to the best of it.Although suprisingly one of the best dives is just off the harborentrance so don't complain about the 10min ride. You can also shore dive it but it's a carry to get to the water. Some of the other sites, you basically park at the dive site.

As nentioned ^ - parts of the Saddle Road hit around 6000' so no fly rules apply. One thing different than Bonaire - plan to drive some distance between dive sites. Exccept for the Kona/Kailua Pier whch is in town. The Big Islabd really is. Also if you plan to see the Volcanoes NP - that's pretty much an all day trek - and I don't know what changed since the eruptions.

For all practical purposes there are no resorts with shore dives. The beaches all have public access and I can only think of a couple condos around Magic Sands Beach where you could walk with gear to the site - MM#4 to the south or there's another beach dive to the north - I forget the name. Most of the Kona Coast is sharp lava to the water's edge. There's maybe 2-3 beaches north around Waikoloa you could dive but I've only seen them from land, not been diving there.

The family will enjoy snorkeling with the turtles at Kapalu;u Beach Park on the Kona side. It's about 8' deep and watch so you don't kick one sleeping on the beach. It's actually a better snorkel than dive

Was in Kailua Kona mid-February 6 years ago. Can't help regarding diving in Hilo but will say when we visited, the water looked a little rough compared to the water on the Kona side. Dove with Jack's Diving Locker in Kona and thought they were great. They provide transportation from their store or you can meet them at the Honokohau Harbor. We did whale watching, went fishing, and did the manta night snorkel (also with Jack's), all trips leaving from this harbor.

As mentioned by others, do the Manta Night Dive/Snorkel. We did the snorkel as we had 2 non-divers in our group. I think the only differences between the dive and snorkel are 1) the direction the mantas are swimming and 2) whether you want to float on the surface or kneel on the bottom for 40-45 minutes.

From what I recall, the gear that people rented from Jack's looked to be in pretty good condition. I used their dive computer (as I didn't purchase my own until after this trip) and it worked fine. The wetsuits our non-divers wore for the Manta snorkel were in very good condition.

“2 step” in Captain Cook (south of Kona) is a great spot for a shore dive. Step in entry to 20-30’ reef. If you are up for a swim there are usually dolphins a couple hundred yards out! Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom