will any webbing material do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone customised their webbing with new material?

Jorbar1551:
Has anyone customised their webbing with new material?

For the main piece of the harness, the shoulder straps / waist belt you should use a resin reinforced webbing. That's what weight belts are made of.

For the crotch strap many prefer a softer webbing.

There are a few colors of resin reinforced sold besides black.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
There are a few colors of resin reinforced sold besides black.

:rofl3: Blasphemy!

Yeah, what Tobin said is right on. I, for one, can vouch that thinner webbing (like for seatbelts) will do damage you won't believe.

what kind of damage?

I have a harness made from 2000lb parachute webbing; it's nice & soft. So soft that I use parachute hardware with it because "normal" hardware requires stiffer webbing so it doesn't slip all over the place.
It doesn't go into saltwater though.
I'd stick with the stiff stuff as recommended, though narrower webbing can be used - my dear old Sportsways "WaterLung" backpack uses 1" webbing & D-rings. Works great.

Webbing without resin is, IMO, fine for single tank diving. Once you start loading deco bottles though, the webbing digs into your shoulder at the surface. If you don't want to have multiple plates, I'd suggest you stick with the resin impregnated webbing.

I am going to assume (I know, always bad) that you are refering to placing one through the webbing at the top center of the plate. All the installation instructions I read said to do that. I haven't. I can't see how it's needed with my particular plate and webbing. The webbing is VERY tight through the slots, and does not want to move at all. I suppose some plate/webbing combos could make that grommet a must.

FD

Whale Whisperer:
Do you have to install a Stainless Steel Gromet for some backplates?
No. Most backplates are Stainless Steel or aluminum, unless you've found a brass, titanium, or polymer one. None of them require inserts on the slots. (If the slots are unfinished or sharp, however, you may want to take a file to them and smooth the rough edges...)

One of the more innovative designs is Tobin's SS plates, which offer a rubber-like polymer insert manufactured into the slots. This is much easier on the webbing. Here is a photo:
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page7.html

Webbing is generally fitted by using stainless steel keepers on one or both sides of the webbing where it passes through the plate.

Hope this helps,

Doc

Webbing does vary, even within the resin-impregnated stuff. The webbing that came on the backplate I bought from Bob was very thick and extremely stiff, and annoying to try to adjust. When I took Fundies, Rick Inman bought some Halcyon webbing which he turned out not to like AT ALL because it was too flexible. I, on the other hand, adore the stuff because I can work it through buckles and triglides with nothing more than my fingers (I needed a barbecue skewer to adjust the thicker material).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom