Question Wildlife reactions to the GoPro front screen turned on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New to the forum and have an oddly specific question I haven’t been able to find any results on or I am using the wrong search keywords. My Hero 8 died (red light of death and out of warranty, RIP) and now I have a 12 that has a front screen. Has anyone experienced wildlife either being spooked out or alternatively more curious when you are filming with the front screen on?

I recall two personal experiences with dive guides filming a hawksbill turtle that suddenly veered away from them (and right into me for a surprise video closeup) and wonder if it’s because they had a newer GoPro with the front screen on mostly for pictures/videos of divers in the guided dive. Neither guides were aggressively swimming towards them and moved similarly to how I have in at least 60ish tropical dives with turtles I have caught on film without behaving similarly with my old camera. I also wonder if people have seen different reactions with more curious wildlife such as sea lions and octopus with the front screen on.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot, just curious what other experiences have been and thinking about whether I want the front screen on if I’m mostly filming non-humans underwater.

I have a GoPro 11. It has a front screen, but I keep it off by default to preserve battery life.

I do use a video light, and I've noticed that when it's on, it seems to attract the attention/curiosity of two species: French Angelfish and big Groupers (little groupers are shy no matter what - I guess that's how they get to become big groupers). Other species seem to be indifferent to the light (including hawksbill and green sea turtles)

Personally, don't think the front screen of a GoPro would be bright enough to matter either way.

I have a GoPro 11. It has a front screen, but I keep it off by default to preserve battery life.

I do use a video light, and I've noticed that when it's on, it seems to attract the attention/curiosity of two species: French Angelfish and big Groupers (little groupers are shy no matter what - I guess that's how they get to become big groupers). Other species seem to be indifferent to the light (including hawksbill and green sea turtles)

Personally, don't think the front screen of a GoPro would be bright enough to matter either way.
Thanks for sharing! I am leaning on keeping it off due to battery life anyways but might have it on occasionally for an upcoming trip with a new dive buddy friend for taking videos of us together. Not feeling a light for my setup now but good to know it might make me friends with big grouper. :D

Back
Top Bottom