Wikipedia for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I apologize if this is in the incorrect section.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of something like a Wikipedia for diving? I don't mean a website with 20 or 30 articles. I mean something with hundreds of articles, especially links to good articles written by individuals in the industry.

It seems every other day I stumble upon a great website or great article. And I always find myself wishing there were some sort of website that had a directory or breakdown of all these articles and blog posts.

I'm envisioning a website which breaks diving down into various sections, you choose a section you're interested in, and it provides you with a list of articles and a small summary underneath each.

For instance, you choose the decompression section. One link would go to an article by Andy Davis about Micro bubbles, the next would go to a DAN article about deep stops, the third about GUE's minimum deco rules, etc etc.

I'm not sure if something like this exists, but I really believe it would be a great educational resource for divers and also reward individuals who create quality content by increasing their exposure.

Do you know of anything like that or does it sound like something you would be interested in?

I wish there were better resources for dive sites themselves.

shorediving.com was ambitious but is no longer being maintained.

There is a whole subculture of shore diving in Minnesota that is in the process of getting lost as the popularity of cold water diving declines. Access points, location of underwater attractions, times of year when viz is best, and the many locations that really aren't worth diving.

Scubaboard has its place but this sort of information has to be organized and curated to be useful.

Go to the search box and press the More... button:

Use the advanced search function with wild cards and target the sub forum specific to the content you are looking for.

Much better than a mindless Wikipedia with hundreds of poorly maintained articles.

The scubaboard database is curated by dates, times, original poster, content and title and then it is further sorted out into sub forums. Xenforo (system SB is written on) uses a content database called elastisearch this allows advanced searching and indexing of content using expressions made up of any number of partial and full matches. If you write your posts in a way that can be optimized by the elastisearch engine your posts will be easier to search for by other users.

There is more than enough curation to go around here - if you take the time to learn how to use it.

I'll write a guide on how to use the advanced search and write elastisearch optimized content. I've got nothing but time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom